Stopping Carbonation in Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dchalladay

Reaction score
So I just bottled by 2nd batch :ban: On my first batch I bottled, I let them sit for 2 weeks and a chilled one and opened it and it was perfect carbonation. I was busy so I didn't have time to drink the rest of them so they sit for about another week before I got a chance to get to them. When I opened them...boom...well it was more of a constant foam for 30+ seconds.

So i have a couple (some stupid) questions.

1) Does refrigerating bottles slow/stop the carbonation effects?
a) perhaps I just over carbonated my first batch and popped 1 first one at the perfect time?

2) Assuming I use the right of priming sugar, how long can I leave the beer in the bottles typically before the beer gets skunked/ruined? I don't really know the shelf life of homemade beers and if they differ from beers you'd buy elsewhere.

3) If chilling the beers stops the carbonation, should I just put them all in the fridge at two weeks if they are good and leave them?
a)If I leave them in the fridge, how long roughly will they last? Do they have a different life in the fridge vs out of the fridge?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get the hang of things before I move to a 5 gallon batch.

So I just bottled by 2nd batch :ban: On my first batch I bottled, I let them sit for 2 weeks and a chilled one and opened it and it was perfect carbonation. I was busy so I didn't have time to drink the rest of them so they sit for about another week before I got a chance to get to them. When I opened them...boom...well it was more of a constant foam for 30+ seconds.

So i have a couple (some stupid) questions.

1) Does refrigerating bottles slow/stop the carbonation effects?
a) perhaps I just over carbonated my first batch and popped 1 first one at the perfect time? Yes but it sounds like you might ahve over primed

2) Assuming I use the right of priming sugar, how long can I leave the beer in the bottles typically before the beer gets skunked/ruined? I don't really know the shelf life of homemade beers and if they differ from beers you'd buy elsewhere. Long time!

3) If chilling the beers stops the carbonation, should I just put them all in the fridge at two weeks if they are good and leave them?
a)If I leave them in the fridge, how long roughly will they last? Do they have a different life in the fridge vs out of the fridge? I would chill the beer before serving. Colder the beer is the harder it is for the CO2 to come out of solution.

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get the hang of things before I move to a 5 gallon batch.

See above in red

Did you make sure that fermentation was done before you bottled?

+1 to all the questions.
If you didn't verify complete fermentation that could be the reason for over carb.
If you didn't use a priming calculator,

http://tastybrew.mobify.me/calculators/priming.html

it's hard to say if you primed at the right level for volume and style.
One option is to barely crack the seal with a bottle opener to release the gas then crimp the cap back down with your capper.

Latest posts

Back