Sourdough yeast for fermenting with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshesmusica

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I feel like I'm reading or hearing more and more of people making sours this way. Anybody experimenting with this that can give any advice/tips they've learned along the way? Does it produce a pretty good sour?

This is one of the articles that I found in my research. Homebrew Session: Experimental Sour Dough Ale The discussion in the comments section are as helpful as the article itself.

And the work of Michael Tonsmeire (Oldsock on here) in his blog.

For me I'm not necessarily looking for a "sour" beer, I'm looking for something that highlights the spiciness in the rye in the grainbill. Maybe a little tartness to it, but not a dead on sour.

Why did you break this off from your other cool thread?

By the way, there are sourdough discussions on here, a bunch just popped up in the similar threads box below.... Most of them have one or two replys only.... mostly I'm sure about how it won't work, etc.....

Isn't Kvass part of Norway's brewing history? That's sort of a sourdough beer.

Why did you break this off from your other cool thread?

By the way, there are sourdough discussions on here, a bunch just popped up in the similar threads box below.... Most of them have one or two replys only.... mostly I'm sure about how it won't work, etc.....

Isn't Kvass part of Norway's brewing history? That's sort of a sourdough beer.

I wanted a discussion specifically about this one after you mentioned it. I've seen other people mention it recently, and at a competition I was at two weekends ago, one guy had done a sourdough sour. It was one of the more sour beers I have tasted. The wife likes sours, but I don't think I really wanna commit a fermenter for a very long time. Plus we're likely moving cities in July.

There's seems to be a scandinavian type of kvass, but I think it might be brewed with regular bread yeast?

Back