Could one of the H2O gurus look at my water report and make suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roland_deschain

Reaction score
Any help in translating my water report into brew science would be great!
Our city water is bottled and sold so I'm guessing it's good for drinking but how that translates for brewing is not my thing.
I've just started biab brewing so water chemistry is probably more important now.

image.jpeg

That's kind of a standard water report that is aimed mainly at identifying potential contaminents. You need something that gives you mineral levels. You can call the water company and ask them for a list that includes things like calcium, sodium, chlorides, sulfate, magnesium, hardness, pH and alkilinity. Even better is getting an analysis of what actually comes out your tap. Get a sample and send it to Ward Labs (google them) for a water analysis. They have one for brewing and it's only around $20. Then post the results on the Brew Science forum for feedback. Good luck.

https://producers.wardlab.com/BrewersKitOrder.php

W-5A Brewers Test ................................................................................. $27.25
Sodium Nitrate Total Hardness (Lime)
Calcium Carbonate Total Alkalinity
Magnesium Bicarbonate Iron
Potassium Sulfate Phosphorus
Chloride Electrical Conductivity
pH Est. Total Dissolved Solids

That is what it says on their PDF of Fee Schedule
But whenyou go to the Check out

The Check Out says $42
https://producers.wardlab.com/pay/order-brewers-kit.php?step=1&op=kit

Which is which?
S

I would just get the W-6 Household test for $21. It has everything the Brewer's test has except iron and phosphorus, which you really don't need.

My only suggestion is to stop obsessing about water mineral levels.

Yeah, I disagree...
Getting a handle on your water is one of the basics in brewing beer in my opinion.

OP, just get the household test. The brew science section is a better place to discuss this. You won't get the attitude there.

Yeah, I disagree...
Getting a handle on your water is one of the basics in brewing beer in my opinion.

OP, just get the household test. The brew science section is a better place to discuss this. You won't get the attitude there.

It's certainly a basic for modern professional brewers which I'm sure is not the case here.

Paying attention to water has been the single biggest improvement in my brewing. Good for you for getting into it, and ignore the naysayers.

Call the water utility and ask. I bet they'll get you the information you're after.

You can get a report, of just take fermenters over to the grocery store and fill them up at the RO machine for 27 cents/gallon.

As with everything, there is truth in both perspectives. There are some elements of water chem that are very important for even entry level (mash pH, chlorine), some that are worth tinkering with (sulfate, chloride), and some that are for advanced brewers and professionals (Mg, Na, other minerals).

I would just get the W-6 Household test for $21. It has everything the Brewer's test has except iron and phosphorus, which you really don't need.

Yep, that's the one you need unless you are really worried that you have too much iron in the water. If you have iron, the beer will have a copper penny metallic taste, or even a taste a bit like blood.

I got the W6 test about 8 years ago, when it was $15.

As with everything, there is truth in both perspectives. There are some elements of water chem that are very important for even entry level (mash pH, chlorine), some that are worth tinkering with (sulfate, chloride), and some that are for advanced brewers and professionals (Mg, Na, other minerals).

This is my thought as well. Not necessarily the case on this thread but I recently was helping a brand spanking new brewer with how to use gypsum, later realizing he knew little about steeping vs mashing, cleaning procedures, pitch rates or fermentation temperature. He did however, read that water was important so he was going to add minerals.

Back