Bratwursts in Beer-Cheese Sauce

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score

On this 50th SuperBowl Sunday, I am posting this recipe that I recently tried. Variations on this theme have been floating around on the Internet and social media, so I decided to try it and was not disappointed in the least. Here is the version that I came up with:

2 bottles of your favourite beer (I used Budweiser)
6 to 12 bratwursts, depending on their size (I used 12 Johnsonville Stadium Brats)
1 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup (1 8-ounce package) cream cheese
2 cups of your favourite cheese, shredded (I used sharp cheddar)

This recipe can be prepared on a grill or on a stovetop.

Place beer, bratwursts and onion and garlic in a pot or saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the bratwursts from the beer, then grill or broil until the casings are browned, perhaps 10 or 15 minutes, depending on theor distance from the heat.

Strain the onions out of the beer that the bratwursts were simmering in and set aside. Measure 1 cup of the beer broth, then discard or save the rest for another use. Return the broth to the saucepan, then add cream cheese, breaking it up and whisking or stirring until it is nearly melted.

Reduce heat to low and begin adding shredded cheese a handful at a time, whisking or stirring as it melts into the sauce. Continue to stir over low heat until cheese is fully melted and the sauce is smooth. Add the onions back to the saucepan and cook until heated through.

Serve the bratwursts topped with the cheese sauce.

Needless to say, this stuff was excellent; The only thing that I would change about this preparation would have been to add some black pepper. The

Best of all, this was also quite easy and would lend itself to dozens of variations. Imagine using a real beer, rather than some assembly-line swill. One could also change the profile by using a smoked sausage, Little Smokies, chorizo, Italian sausage...or perhaps a smoked cheese such as Gouda, Provolone or Swiss. You could add bacon, shrimp, diced peppers, hot sauce or a score of other ingredients and create an entirely new variation to suit your taste preferences, or perhaps a chosen theme. Top with a fried or poached egg, serve on toast, and you have breakfast. The possibilities are limited only by your available ingredients, and your imagination.

But, then again, you could do it simply as I did, and enjoy a really nice "cheese head" experience....

Amish smoked bermuda onion from Heini's would be perfect for this! They use caramelized bermuda onions in the marbled, smoked orange & white colby cheese.

Back