Carbonation Problem (Keg)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKuhns

Everything learned in Kindergarten still applies!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
New to Kegging Ciders (Have made many Ciders and bottle conditioned.) Have a problem with lots of foam at the dispensing nozzle and even with the head it goes flat immediately. Using a 1.75 Gallon "Mini" Keg and filled to about 85%.

Have tried to hit 2.5 Volumes of CO2 by using the temp / pressure chart. Fridge is at 40 Deg F and pressure regulator is at 12 pounds. Shook it a few times after putting pressure on it. Dispensing hose is 3/8" tubing and 4'. (Some say not enough length but opinions vary)

Have pulled the pressure relief on the keg and dispensed a couple of glasses with no CO2 on it. They are OK but not really carbed enough. It then kind of runs out of pressure. It acts a bit like it is over carbed???

Would appreciate any suggestions?

Almost forgot to mention has been on the "gas" now for 2 weeks.

I hope you mean 3/16", not 3/8", but at 4', that's your problem. For years I had 1/4" at 6', and for my first couple pours, I had 1/2 beer and 1/2 foam. I replaced those lines ( because they BADLY needed replacing ) with 3/16" at 9', and my pours are great now.

Is that a Cannonball keg? I got one for Christmas but haven't used it yet, so I'll be watching this thread.

From what I know, you haven't done anything wrong. Are you using the liquid line and picnic tap that came with the keg?

Sorry I can't be any help. Hope someone with experience chimes in.

Lumpher - Put a calliper on a new piece to double check -Three measurements average to 5/16 ID.

Looking at the following from NB I kind of like the Anti Microbial properties (assuming it works). It sells in 10' lengths. But states that line restriction is around 3 PSI per foot seems a little counter intuitive to go to 9' but might start there. http://www.northernbrewer.com/3-16-id-antimicrobial-draft-beer-line

Maylar - Yep bought this outfit - Really like the size it fits in the Beer / Cider fridge in the garage without modifying shelves etc. The only down side is I make 5 gallon batches and have a few gallons sitting around waiting for the keg. It doesn't hurt to age a bit and do have some gallon glass jugs so not a huge problem. http://www.northernbrewer.com/draft-brewer-mini-keg-system

Will let you know how it works out. Might be a few days before i can get over to NB.

If anyone else has any thoughts I would appreciate them

The liquid line that came with my kit is 3/16" x 5 feet long.

Interesting.... Wonder what happened with my kit? Hose actually looks a bit scrunched by the crimp clamp at the nut on the ferule thingy. Tells me it is a bit too large. Actually surprised it is not leaking. Definitely only 4' long.

Pulled the relief valve yesterday and shook the dickens out of it then released the pressure again. Dropped the gauge pressure to 8 PSI. Today much better not as foamy and holds a bit of the bubble for a short time.

Will try the longer 3/16 hose and probably have to get new crimp clamps as well and if good at 8 will bump it back to 12 PSI.

The liquid line that came with my kit is 3/16" x 5 feet long.

Typical of many kits, and much too short for consistent pours.

Get 12ft of 3/16" line for each tap. 38-40*F is good. If you want more foam in your beers, trim back a foot at a time until it's right (mine are still 12ft). With ciders (no sustained head), it will be fine at 12ft,

Update

10' Antimicrobial hose.

Under pressure at 8 pounds and 39 Deg F see pic of the pour - (Perfect pour).

Will move to 12 pounds as i like a bit more carbonation but very happy with the results. :)

Thanks for the advice. It worked out great!

Update - Again
12 pounds of CO2 worked great, added the desired carbonation.

20160211_114419_resized.jpg

Latest posts

Back