Input on hefewiezen/American wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmr9

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm planning on doing a 10 gallon batch of wheat beer, 60% wheat 20% pils and 20% light munich, .5 oz magnum at 60 minutes for bittering. After boiling I plan to split the batch between 2 fermenters one with a hefeweizen yeast (wyeast 3068) and the other with an American strain...my questions are as follows: what yeast strain will produce a good American wheat? I've heard mixed things about wyeast 1010 but have also seen usage of clean strains such as US-05. My second question regards what dry hop would go well in an American wheat? I don't think I want something over the top, I've mulled over using a noble hop for something subtle, I've been intrigued by the descriptions of hull melon as well. What have you guys used before with good success?

Cheers!

1010 is good, but can you get Bell's beer where you are? Grow a starter from their house yeast in the bottle dregs, and you can make something Oberon-like. Bells dry hops Oberon with Saaz.

White labs has a pretty good American hefe strain. My interpretation of an American wheat was that you could really go with whatever hops you wanted.

Thanks for the input, I like the idea of using saaz hops for dry hop. I can get bells where I'm at, do they use the same strain for all of their ales? I'm hoping to brew this up in mid-march so I'm not sure if I'd have time to snag a bottle of oberon to grow yeast up from.

Yep, it's the same for most ales. Just don't get the Winter White or the Hell Hath No Fury as those are different.

I've had good luck growing yeast from their Amber, the Best Brown, and the Third Coast Beer (not the Third Coast Old Ale.)

I'll have to give it a try, it'll be my first attempt at growing yeast from dregs so I think it'll be a good test of my sterile technique. Any idea what kind of temperature range this yeast works well at? I was thinking of fermenting in the low-mid 60s

I've used it in the low to mid 60s with great results. I have also seen things suggest it produces those characteristic Oberon esters when it's up in the upper 60s or even 70s.

Back