Help.. Yeast chunks or contaminated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cp11

Reaction score
Just made my second batch of hard cider. My recipee was organic preservative free apple cider, organic brown sugar (about 1/2 a pound for 1 gal), and a packet of Cote des Blancs wine yeast by red star, and allow fermentation with an airlock for 3 weeks... The first batch came out amazing, couldn't have been happier with the results.

My second batch is just about ready but some residue around the top of the jug and some chunks suspended in the cider, some float some don't. I first suspected they were just yeast chunks and they'd breakup upon stirring, they didn't and i'm alittle skeptical. I tasted the cider and it's pretty strong but it does 't taste/smell abnormal. The chunk are cider colored, maybe alittle lighter. I was very careful to bleach and rinse all my equipment... What do you think? Can I just filter the chunks out?

IMG_7067.jpg

You're fine. Cold crash it to settle out the ones on the surface. The ones on the neck of the carboy are just yeast. No harm

Back