Raising temperature at the end of fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mambro

Reaction score
My beer (an American IPA) has been sitting on the primary for 2 weeks at around 59F (15C). The airlock is still bubbling, but not that much.

I want to dry hop for 5 days and then bottle. I see these three options:
1) Leave the beer at 59F and just dry hop there
2) Move the bucket in another room at 68F (20C) and dry hop
3) Move the bucket in another room at 68F (20C) wait 2/3 more days at that temperature to complete the fermentation and then dry hop.

What would you suggest? I am afraid that moving the bucket I would move some of the sediment... It's just the room next door so maybe I can be careful, but who knows..

My beer (an American IPA) has been sitting on the primary for 2 weeks at around 59F (15C). The airlock is still bubbling, but not that much.

I want to dry hop for 5 days and then bottle. I see these three options:
1) Leave the beer at 59F and just dry hop there
2) Move the bucket in another room at 68F (20C) and dry hop
3) Move the bucket in another room at 68F (20C) wait 2/3 more days at that temperature to complete the fermentation and then dry hop.

What would you suggest? I am afraid that moving the bucket I would move some of the sediment... It's just the room next door so maybe I can be careful, but who knows..

59 degrees is really cool for an ale. Which yeast strain did you use? If the beer is finished, and fully attenuated, it really won't matter what temperature you use, but I'd be concerned that it may not be done and the yeast may be stressed.

If you used a yeast that can handle that temperature, and the beer is done, and there is no diacetyl, you can dryhop right where it is.

Many brewers will raise the temperature of the beer at the tail end of fermentation as a matter of course, to ensure the yeast fully attenuates. They may go from 68 degrees to 72 degrees, for example. It really is yeast strain dependent.

If your three choices were the only choices, I would move to a warmer room and dryhop. But, 59 is cool for an ale. I can't think of much other than Wyeast Scotch Ale that ferments that low. Assuming you can move to another room - what Yooper said.

I'd bet that its done fermenting, I've fermented that cool before without issue.

I would move it to a warmer room and dry hop though

Latest posts

Back