I want a new type of ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
Lookin for a new type of ipa other than west coast. Hold the citra, amarillo, simcoe etc.... Any ideas?

Going back to the mother ship with a British IPA would be an obvious suggestion. Maris Otter as a base along with British crystal malt and hops like EKG or Fuggles with lots of dry hopping. Whitbread Ale yeast sounds appropriate.

Dang I think I've talked myself into brewing it too.

So, what you're saying is that you're sick of all the recent IPA trends, and that you want a new trend?

Lookin for a new type of ipa other than west coast. Hold the citra, amarillo, simcoe etc.... Any ideas?

East Coast?

Also......

Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 9.26.05 PM.png

I'm waiting for the Hoptopia fad to fade... I think I will be waiting a long time ...such as pant crotches around the Knees still with us.

I'm in the same boat as the OP here. Lately I been focusing on malt forward style beers. I cringe when I hear the term "hophead".

How about far-Pacific hops? New Zealand & that area has some interesting stuff going on.

+1 for this. At some point I'm going to brew with Nelson, Galaxy and Kohatu.

I changed up some of my grains for a different flavor too...been using a lot more rye, flaked rye and wheat than I used to.

Definitely explore specialty styles, and add your own twists, use atypical hop varieties and such. I did a Wheat/Galaxy SMaSH White IPA with Belle Saison yeast, and there's pretty much nothing quite like it on the market. If Galaxy is too trendy for what you'd want, maybe try it with Noble Hops. You could take Munich and Fuggles or EKG and make a Double English IPA. I've heard good things about Bravo as a single hop, and that would be different from the typical varieties. I've used it with good results as a flavor/aroma in conjunction with other hops with good results, and Munich/Bravo SMaSH IPAs are apparently a winning combo.

I normally hop at the 60 and 5 minute marks. Even with 10% AAU per addition, the bitterness is pretty subtle.

I made a Nelson sauvin single hopped beer a while ago that was really good and different than anything I've ever had. Didn't take notes back them though so can't remember the schedule .

How about far-Pacific hops? New Zealand & that area has some interesting stuff going on.

I second this idea. I've done it a few times when i wanted something very unique and was successful.

Last one I did was an IPL with Topaz, Pacifica and Nelson. Wasn't the best beer i've ever made but it was definitely unlike anything else i've ever made. Galaxy is killer too.

I've got a pretty standard recipe finishing up in the fermenter right now. Struck at 149F, so I hope it's a bit dryer than the last two or three I made. 1.015 as of last night and still some activity. Looks like the lower mash temps did the trick. The keezer is full, so perhaps this weekend, I plan to bottle most of it as is. I find IPAs age best when bottle conditioned for a month or more.

As my bottling bucket gets down to the last gallon or so, I'm going to add an ounce or so of a vodka/habanero macerate that has been loitering in a mason jar since brew day.

I'll label it "Flaming @$$hole" "Extremely Bitter" and may curse the label with a background photo of one of my least favorite politicians. I like to keep my drinking buddies guessing, or at least aware of current events. It's always good to have a few bottles labeled as conversation starters.:ban:

Try using different yeasts than the typical Cali Ale thing. WLP029 creates a clean lager like experience while WLP060 is somewhere in between. (@Bert_T ... Please look away from my avatar!)

Just finished a keg my "Ryot" IPA. 80% Marris Otter,20% Rye, 4 oz Mozaic and 1056 yeast. Don't know what style it is but is very tasty and very simple.

IBA (India Black/Brown Ale) = Brown Ale/Stout grain bill with IPA hops
IRA (India Red Ale) = Red Ale grain bill with IPA hops
Belgian IPA = Belgian Ale with increased hops
India Saison = Saison with increased hops
IWA (India Wheat Ale) = American Wheat with IPA hops

I have also been trying to get away from all the 'cool kid' hops like Citra, Mosaic, Amarillo etc. Not long ago, I did a Chinook/Saaz IPA w/ WY1318. It turned out very nice. More piney/floral/spicy than citrusy like most IPAs out there. I'd say just try some unorthodox hop combos in a normal IPA grain bill/hop schedule.. or just start brewing other styles once in a while.

I'm the biggest hophead you'll ever meet.

Malts are for kids.

O RLY?

But yeah, there's a lot of cool stuff out there aside from amarillo, citra, simcoe, galaxy, mosaic....etc that is both cheaper and tasty. Some of my favorites have been:

azzaca
belma
hallertau blanc
pacific gem
huell melon
el dorado
ella
pekko
meridian
mouteka
apollo (for other than bittering)
vic secret
exp7270
exp527

OP - if you are having trouble making an IPA thats interesting these days, you are doing it wrong. The hop variety and hopping techniques available today are staggering. West Coast IPAs were a decade ago. I mean they are still popular and I love them, but come on dude

I had a stone anniversary ale 3-4 years ago. It was called Götterdämmerung. I think they mentioned it was brewed like a west coast but with all german hops. It was amazing.

I'm not sick of ipas in fact they are my favorite style. I just like to keep my brewing interesting. Anyone know of any commercial versions?

I always do Maris otter, cane sugar, and flaked oats for my ipa's. I've used galena+belma+meridian, motueka+azacca+mandarina Bavaria, and el dorado+topaz+pacifica. All turned out great. I'm hoping to do topaz+summit+wai-iti next.

I had a stone anniversary ale 3-4 years ago. It was called Götterdämmerung. I think they mentioned it was brewed like a west coast but with all german hops. It was amazing.

I'm not sick of ipas in fact they are my favorite style. I just like to keep my brewing interesting. Anyone know of any commercial versions?

Well if you like that here's what they used. Herkules, Hersbrucker, Magnum, Merkur, Opal, Smaragd & Strisselspalt. Sterling for dry hop.

I brewed an all german hop ipa a while back but found a lot of those hops unobtainable.

Well with all of the suggestions on here you should be able to think of something. You can also find nearly all of those hops on sites like northernbrewer.

Also, with all of the hop varieties available I can guarantee there are many you haven't tried. Try them. That is new.

I was in the same boat. I'm not sick of those west coast hops, but was looking for something different. At the same time, I'm thinking about my hop garden, and wanted to find something unique that is available in rhizomes, as well.
So, I decided I'm going to try Sorachi Ace.
So, this weekend, alongside my St. Patty's Day Stout, I'm going to try an all Sorachi Ace IPA.
They had them on sale at Label Peelers for $14.74 for a pound, so I went with that.
They say it's pretty lemony. So maybe it'll be something refreshing that the wife will enjoy with me.

If you want to boost citrus or fruit flavors, go with Conan yeast. It will blow your mind.

I was in the same boat. I'm not sick of those west coast hops, but was looking for something different. At the same time, I'm thinking about my hop garden, and wanted to find something unique that is available in rhizomes, as well.
So, I decided I'm going to try Sorachi Ace.
So, this weekend, alongside my St. Patty's Day Stout, I'm going to try an all Sorachi Ace IPA.
They had them on sale at Label Peelers for $14.74 for a pound, so I went with that.
They say it's pretty lemony. So maybe it'll be something refreshing that the wife will enjoy with me.

Use Nelson Sauvin with it, maybe as just a dry-hop addition. In another brew after this one, of course.

:)

+1 on the German style IPA. Take an alt beer recipe and hop it up with a blend German grown Hallertau, Tetnanger, etc. It will yield a spicy/earthiness different from American or traditional English IPAs.

Brewed one a while back and liked the result

O.K.

This is my first attempt at public maceration.

I just put about 2 ML (a few large drops for my fellow Americans) of the habanero/vodka infusion I plan to add to my IPA - into a glass. Next I drew about 10 oz. of kolsch from the keezer on top of the hot vodka. My 20 something son seems to think it's the best beer he's ever tasted and that "You could sell that".

and if you really want to make your wife giggle.... grab a one pint canning jar and wait until she's preoccupied, then ask her if she minds if you macerate into this jar, in the kitchen.

I'm the biggest hophead you'll ever meet.

Malts are for kids.

Lol. I guess there is a flavor for every neighbor. Me personally, I don't mind the occasional IPA -I will settle for maybe 1 when visting craft brewers- but I truly prefer the toasty roasty nutty chocolatey flavors of my brews with enough bitterness to balance them out. I guess I'm not too much of a fan of hop aroma or flavor. Cheers!

India Pale Lager. And I don't mean just take your standard IPA recipe and use lager yeast; use some finesse and balance that f'er. A properly brewed IPL is something of beauty, and seldom found on the commercial market.

This is the german ipa i made a while back....looks like it was just over 2 years ago. my notes say to brew again. possibly ill take note of what was mentioned in this thread. rewrite the hop schedule and brew away!

The two yeasts are due to a split batch...two separate fermenters with two different yeasts. Some dry hops were added to keg. This was before i used starters and oxygenated. Notes say i used Burton water profile.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: German Imperial IPA
Brewer: Steve Verver
Asst Brewer: Norm Field
Style: Specialty Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) Make this recipe again! Very good.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 12.54 gal
Post Boil Volume: 10.66 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 9.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.077 SG
Estimated Color: 5.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 99.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 69.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.9 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes