How to automatically cut power to an induction cooktop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutty_gnome

Reaction score
I have successfully been working with an Auber PID, SSR,RTD probe, and a heat stick with a recirculating march pump to augment my propane brewing. So I’m not a noob, but I have a few questions.

I think I’d like to add one of those avantco 3500 watt 240V induction cooktops to the system to replace my propane burner. I want to know what it would take to make the 240 electical circuit cut off at a specific temperature set point. Essentially, I want to turn on the cooktop to heat water, but then I want to cut power to the cooktop entirely once a set temperature has been reached. What gear is best suited to doing that? Would a simple STC-1000 wired to a contactor be able to do that? Or maybe the existing auber output could be wired in parallel a contactor as well as the existing SSR?

I konw you can't easily adapt the Avantco to use with a PID. I just want it to turn off once at a set temp.

Basically – I want to use the heat stick and the cooktop to heat water. Once the water reaches a set point, I want the cooktop to cut off and allow the existing Auber PID to fire the heatstick as needed to maintain temp. How would you go about doing this?

Be careful. Some Induction Cook Tops default to a temperature set point of "off" when they are powered on. It is not always as easy as using a relay to cut the 110V from the Induction Cook Top. It depends on the model. There is information about this floating around HBT somewhere. I just don't remember which thread.

If you just want to switch it off at a setpoint, you could probably use the alarm output on the Auber to switch off a contactor.

As others have said, when it switches back on as the temperature drops below the alarm point, the likely result is that the cooktop will power up, but not turn the heat on. You'll probably also want to add a bypass switch to the alarm circuit, so you can later power up the induction cooktop with the Auber alarm output off for the boil.

If you just want to switch it off at a setpoint, you could probably use the alarm output on the Auber to switch off a contactor.

As others have said, when it switches back on as the temperature drops below the alarm point, the likely result is that the cooktop will power up, but not turn the heat on. You'll probably also want to add a bypass switch to the alarm circuit, so you can later power up the induction cooktop with the Auber alarm output off for the boil.

After reading the manual for the PID, this is exactly the conclusion I had come to. And I would put in an override switch to use the cooktop during the boil phase.

I assume a dual pole 120v contactor would be the appropriate contactor to use - one pole for each hot lead?

Yep, that's the right thing. I just bought a 30A dual pole contactor on Amazon for $10. Seems to work on in my new kettle controller.

As others have said, when it switches back on as the temperature drops below the alarm point, the likely result is that the cooktop will power up, but not turn the heat on.
Correct. For safety reasons any high power device such as this shouldn't turn "on" when first plugged in. You need to figure out how to bypass this.

Kal

Correct. For safety reasons any high power device such as this shouldn't turn "on" when first plugged in. You need to figure out how to bypass this.

I don't think he necessarily needs to bypass it. As I understand his plans, this is just to bring water/wort up to temperature unattended, without overheating and/or boiling over, before manually turning on the heat when he gets back to the system. Basically acting like a big electric tea kettle rather than a temperature controller.

But if one were to create a temp control version, a simple internal hack of the cook top could/should/would easily handle this. Just need the appropriate inline cutoff whilst keeping the logic alive. hehe... "whilst"!

The induction cooktop I have can be set to a given temperature. In your situation, assuming a normal mash routine, I would set the cooktop to maintain 140 degrees and set the heatstick to what you want. In that manner, the induction cooktop helps bring the temp up appropriately and turns itself off at 140 while the heatstick manages the extra temp rise. Mine also has setpoints at 180 and 210 (simmer, just short of boiling). Those may not be perfect setpoints for what you are trying to do, but it would require absolutely no additional items.

The set temperatures on most, if not all, induction cooktops are *not* accurate. I wouldn't go by them at all.

The induction units have horrible internal temp control. It's so far off, it's actually insulting that the manufacturers include the function. I haven't opened mine up yet, but whatever relay keeps kicking on and off to apply power to the high frequency driver would be the spot to switch with an add-on contactor

I would do by finding the low voltage signal and interrupting that. Keep the internal temp at max and let your temp controller interrupt the low voltage signal via a NO relay. A small reed relay would do great.

I forget the user on here, but someone modded the avantco ic3500 but they weren't impressed. Someone else modded a different cooktop for their rims and I asked which cooktop in their build thread and never got a response...now I need to go find those users/ threads

I forget the user on here, but someone modded the avantco ic3500 but they weren't impressed. Someone else modded a different cooktop for their rims and I asked which cooktop in their build thread and never got a response...now I need to go find those users/ threads

Here is the build where the guy originally uses the Avantco. Looks like he then switches to an adcraft burner which has an 1800W and 3000W analog model

After shutting down, the internal fan runs for a while to cool off and protect the electronics. Not a good idea to turn off by cutting power.

The set temperatures on most, if not all, induction cooktops are *not* accurate. I wouldn't go by them at all.

Let me clarify.

I was not insinuating to use that temp control for anything other than an automatic shutoff. The true temp control would be provided by the heat stick and the control associated with that. If I set the induction top to 140 but am looking to mash at 152, the cooktop is never going to get me there consistently. Even if it is off by 8-10 degrees, its not going to matter because the heat stick is going to be controlling the temperature and firing at that point anyway.

In regards to the internal fan. If you cut the AC power and turn it back on, the unit would restart w the induction unit off but the cooling fan on. I'm not sure how to wire this, but a brief interrupt on the AC line might do the trick.

In regards to the internal fan. If you cut the AC power and turn it back on, the unit would restart w the induction unit off but the cooling fan on. I'm not sure how to wire this, but a brief interrupt on the AC line might do the trick.

I thought I'd just take control of that externally with an always-on fan sucking through the exhaust vent (assuming there is one vent).

Back