Anyone enter the National homebrew competition yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBOGAN

Reaction score
This whole random selection thing for 2016 is causing me anxiety.

Registered, now I just have to wait until the 16th to see if I was a lucky lottery winner.

It's a random lottery this year? Was planning to enter and sign up to be a member but don't really want to do it if I won't know if I can enter or not.

Everyone who entered the lottery last year got in...at least I assume so since they opened it up later for additional entries, and even then, all the regions weren't full...

It's a random lottery this year? Was planning to enter and sign up to be a member but don't really want to do it if I won't know if I can enter or not.

I went through the same thing but my club dropped the ball and decided for some reason not to renew our membership. Instead of waiting for club politics I just purchased my own and I'm very glad I did.

How are you guys registering? I have yet to receive any email from AHA stating I can register? I go to the login page for the 2016 registration, I type in my ACTIVE AHA username and password and I get a login error.

I suspect pretty much everyone will get in; there's a max limit of 6 entries. According to the AHA site, last year had a drop-off in entries:

Quick Facts

.............................................2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
Total Number of Entries Judged 7,663 8,172 7,757 7,823 6,966 6,287 5,166 5,644

There were the fewest entries since 2011.

Yes - since they went to this format of entry it has been way better than what it had become - a mad dash to enter as many beers as you could in 15 minutes before it filled up. Everyone who wants in will likely get in. Select "alternative destinations" to further ensure you get entries.

I think it has also made a big difference that you have to pay for the number of entries you register regardless of whether you enter. Keeps people from just signing up for a bunch and then not sending them in. I think it keeps people honest on signing up for what they think they will actually have ready to send.

Yes - since they went to this format of entry it has been way better than what it had become - a mad dash to enter as many beers as you could in 15 minutes before it filled up. Everyone who wants in will likely get in. Select "alternative destinations" to further ensure you get entries.

I think it has also made a big difference that you have to pay for the number of entries you register regardless of whether you enter. Keeps people from just signing up for a bunch and then not sending them in. I think it keeps people honest on signing up for what they think they will actually have ready to send.

That is the one thing that has always bugged me about competitions, its the guy who enters 5 or more beers but has faith in only one or two. If you know the beer is flawed then why waste the time and money. Plus some people have beers that are stellar and have planned their brewing schedule accordingly. One x factor I dislike is the alternative location because of shipping distance and time frame for judging. Otherwise seems like a better system from past years, at least that is what I have gained from doing a little research.

That is the one thing that has always bugged me about competitions, its the guy who enters 5 or more beers but has faith in only one or two. If you know the beer is flawed then why waste the time and money. Plus some people have beers that are stellar and have planned their brewing schedule accordingly. One x factor I dislike is the alternative location because of shipping distance and time frame for judging. Otherwise seems like a better system from past years, at least that is what I have gained from doing a little research.

I agree but at the same time I wish they opened it up to 8. I plan on sending 5 beers that I have medaled in other local homebrew competitions in the past 2 years, but I also have two new beers that I feel are solid beers that I would like to enter as well (black berry stout and BBA American barley wine). So I am having a tough time deciding which beers I want to enter.

I entered the lottery. I'm hoping to get selected and enter a prickly pear blonde ale. It'll be the first competition entry for me :)

I agree but at the same time I wish they opened it up to 8. I plan on sending 5 beers that I have medaled in other local homebrew competitions in the past 2 years, but I also have two new beers that I feel are solid beers that I would like to enter as well (black berry stout and BBA American barley wine). So I am having a tough time deciding which beers I want to enter.

Send to me for preliminary judging and I'll narrow the field to 6 for you.

I registered for 3 - have 2 picked out for sure. Waiting to see how the 3rd does in a local comp coming up, then will decide.

I went ahead and registered for 6. I'll have to narrow down which though.

Side note, anyone who had problems registering yesterday, try again today. It wasn't recognizing my membership yesterday (I'm paid through at least 2018), so I called them, and apparently they were having IT problems (as it seems they do every year), and told me to try again today (I did, technically, just very early morning before I went to bed).

The first year they tried the lottery, I was one of the illustrious 40-ish people who were initially denied. They were able to make room for us all later on and I still got my entries in (but had to ship farther than I'd wanted to). I didn't have any issues getting all my entries in last year.

I'm also planning on judging this year. Which means preferential entry next year.

Send to me for preliminary judging and I'll narrow the field to 6 for you.

I registered for 3 - have 2 picked out for sure. Waiting to see how the 3rd does in a local comp coming up, then will decide.

That would be awesome but unfortunately Im still brewing my remaining ales this week. If I mess up a batch it will make my decision very easy on which 6 to enter lol

Anyone got an email yet saying weather or not they get to submit anything yet? Mine stated I should know something by the 16th. Just curious if they are assigning drop off locations yet.

The application window doesn't even close until 2/7 - I think they wait to receive all applications to determine judging locations and total # of entries.

Got mine as well. Curious...what entry number did you all get? I'm 13,040 ish. Just wondering if I'm at the end of the list or is there several thousand more ahead of me. No reason just curious about things like this.

I only entered with one and was accepted. Problem would be if I advance I won't be able to re brew. I could but it's aged over a year. I do have enough to send a good 12 bottles so that should work, right?

I only entered with one and was accepted. Problem would be if I advance I won't be able to re brew. I could but it's aged over a year. I do have enough to send a good 12 bottles so that should work, right?

Save 5, two for 1st round and 3 for the final round. An aged beer, should be fine not rebrewing I'd say.

I'm not 100% committed to what I'm entering, but I've got a pretty good idea. I can make 5 happen no problem, it's just a matter of what a) I think is highest quality and b) regardless of what I know to be high quality, what I think incompetent 1st round judges might still get right.

12 is more than enough..... If I remember correctly it is 2 for first round and 3 for finals if you advance.

Nice. Thanks man.
Save 5, two for 1st round and 3 for the final round. An aged beer, should be fine not rebrewing I'd say.

I'm not 100% committed to what I'm entering, but I've got a pretty good idea. I can make 5 happen no problem, it's just a matter of what a) I think is highest quality and b) regardless of what I know to be high quality, what I think incompetent 1st round judges might still get right.

Well, I won't enter an IPA. I learned my lesson there because of the vast number of entires. I just don't have the skill. But my quad, I think it works.

For those of you who applied but haven't received an email you may need to check the AHA website. I did not receive an email accepting my entry requests so I went on the AHA website and logged in and it showed that my entry had been accepted. It's important to do since you only have 3 days from the date of acceptance in order to make your payment.

If your email address is from AT&T you might have the same problem. AT&T is very aggressive in blocking emails they consider spam and, in those cases, they do not deliver them at all.

Back