Second batch in a row with an off taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fd4413

Reaction score
So I just took a gravity of my brown ale. It's in primary and I'm just trying to determine if it's finished fermenting. Here's my frustration:

This is my second all grain batch in a row that has tasted chemically and smells like isopropyl alcohol. After my last IPA had this prob I used campden tab thinking it was the chlorine in the city water. My first 2 all grain batches (APA and winter warmer) were great...now this twice in a row.

Anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on?

Good question... I think it's kind of just tribal knowledge for the most part. Brewing Classic Styles might be a good place to start. In general, I find it best always to ferment colder than anyone else does. If everyone is fermenting at 68 F, try a couple degrees cooler at 66 F. Actually in the case of ales, I find most ales turn out best in the low 60s. You can still make good stuff at 70 F but it might give you headaches or worse. And lagers, pitch those in the 40s and allow to rise slowly to low 50s after several days to a week. Those are some pretty good rules of thumb. Special cases would be for German hefeweizens and Belgian ales, which often are best started in the upper 60s and allowed to rise to low 70s. Best rule of thumb I can give you is to never exceed about 73 F, and that's really pushing it even on the German and Belgian ales. That's been my experience.

:mug:

Personally, I don't worry much about tastes in the fermenter. There are so many flavors that come and go with time. I get strong smells of acetaldehyde while fermenting but it almost always ages out. Once it's a few weeks in the bottle, then the flavors really matter.

Are you using any acidulated malt? I tried that in a few batches based on the primer article, but the beers basically came out sour and didn't age out, so I stopped that practice.

Latest posts

Back