Using old sour wort in a new beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmscott

Reaction score
Hopefully I am hitting the right forum with this topic.

About 8 months ago I brewed a all brett beer with fresh sour cherries in the fermentation.

The beer added up with a nice cherry flavor and a little sour funk I liked but wanted more. When bottling I decided to leave all the trub, cherries and wort to fill a one gallon glass carboy. Which has been sitting in my basement for over half a year.

I am brewing up this weekend a big batch of a dark winter warmer that would probably be really good with a sour cherry infusion. Does it make any sense in adding the wort, cherries, trub and all into half my batch and see what happens? Its my understanding if I pitch the ale yeast I plan on using the sour from the brett will intensify...

So, it is a total of 14 months old? If it was just some old sour beer with trub, I'd say yeah, definitely. Go for it.

But having the cherries still in there is a variable I'm not sure about. Could be perfectly fine, but in my opinion it isn't ideal. But really, you probably don't need the entire gallon of gunk anyway. You could try to just strain out the cherries and let whatever else gets through right into the new batch.

You'll definitely need new sacch yeast with that, though.

Sorry if I was confusing the wort is about 8 months old.

So I ended up brewing an old english barley wine style (the OG was low for a barley wine - 1.077).

The aim was 10 gallons I ended up with 11 gallons at 1.075. 24 hours prior to brewing I made a starter Wyeast 1098 but prior to pitching the yeast I added some mash into the old wort to wake up the Brett.

I ended up splitting the batch adding half the starter to 6 gallons and half the starter and all the sour wort plus the other half of the starter to the other 5 gallons. A week in primary the plain barley wine is right on track at 1.024.

The sour added is already at 1.01! I am now worried that i pulled all the sweetness out of this... any way to add some back in at this point?

Latest posts

Back