Krausen still holding strong, too early to dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacchusmj

Reaction score
Brewed a pale 13 days ago, 001 yeast from a washed batch. My normal schedule would have me dry-hopping tomorrow but I don't want to mess up what seems to be happy yeast. I haven't taken any gravity readings yet. Should I worry about this or dry-hop away.

1.050 og, all grain, 001 yeast, totally controlled 66 degree ferment. Krausen is still 2 inches think, no signs of active fermentation (no bubbling airlock).

Thoughts?

Go for it. Two weeks should have completed the fermentation for the most part. If you truly have any fermentation going on then that little bit left could help clean up any possible oxygenation issues created by the addition of the hops.

I'd take a gravity reading to see where you are at and then go from there.

Only thing I look for with determining when to dry hop is airlock activity. If you are still getting more than 1 bubble per minute, IMO, its too early to dry hop. All teh aroma will go right out the airlock

All those Chico yeasts hang around for a while, I do a 3 week then dry hop rite in primary for up to 2 weeks. Every beer i've ever made was at FG in 3 weeks, some go into a keg some lager.

Back