Safe alternative to pvc glue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tactical-Brewer

Reaction score
Going to be using some pvc in my mini mash tun and was curious if pvc will leak without any glue (maybe a stupid question and I apologize if it is) and if it will, is there a safe alternative to the regular pvc glue?

Thanks,
Tac

Are you going to make a pvc manifold? If so, don't glue it. It'll be ok, and much easier to clean, if you just push the connections together and not glue them.

If it were me, I'd use CPVC for any brewing application (other than maybe a cold water supply line) with the appropriate PRIMER and GLUE (CPVC often uses the same primer as PVC but a different glue). CPVC is rated for higher temperature than PVC. It's also really not glue as it solvent welds the plastic, but I won't split hairs. Good luck.

That's actually what I'll be using is cpvc but I couldn't really remember the name of it.

Thanks David for the answer on the solvent.

If it's tight, it probably won't leak if it's not glued. But it may come loose easily. I'd suggest getting some 1/4" long SS screws and screwing it together. It will keep it together and you can take it apart if needed.

CPVC and the appropriate glue is fine to use.

I had to use some glue on my joints, namely the joints that connected the hose that goes to the manifold. My spoon would knock the elbow off when stirring which led to sad times. Long rubber gloves and a lot of swearing are the remedy when that happens. I don't recommend it.

All of the other joints on the manifold were not glued and I didn't have a problem with those coming undone. If you glued all of the joints then cleaning the thing would be more difficult.

Gotchya. Yeah, when I make a manifold once I get my new mash tun I won't use glue. But for these small 2 gallon mash runs I'm making I will have to. Just wasn't sure if it was kosher to use or not

Back