American Pale Ale Six Shooter Pale Ale (AG, 4.5%, Late Addition Only)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
Nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 Weeks at 66 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Kegged and cooled for 2 weeks
A few months ago I had a discussion with some fellow HBTr’s about the idea of exclusive late-hop-additions in a beer. The purpose being to derive as much flavor and aroma out of the hops as possible, without over bittering the beer.

I’m a growing fan of hoppy beers, but not a fan of waiting months for an aggressive bitterness to die down in an APA (or IPA for that matter) before it’s drinkable. There are a fair number of hops out there that provide some pretty decent nose to a beer… but the AAU’s are so high that they are often relegated to their designated purpose of bittering, thereby limiting their potential contribution to flavor and aroma. Hops like Nugget, Phoenix, Galena, Summit and others have a fantastic aroma out of the bag, but are down right dangerous with their high bittering potential.

Enter the idea of back-loading the entire hops bill. The idea is to add the entire hops bill with less than 20-minutes left in the boil. This achieves the desired IBU’s, but more importantly, gets the flavor and aroma out of those hops that might otherwise be lost in a 60-minute boil.

I put together this recipe back in January and the entire ten-gallon batch is nearing the end. I call it Six-Shooter because of it’s 6 different grains and 6 different hops additions. (The fact that it’s a 1.046 OG and a 36IBU is purely coincidence :D)

This was a fantastic pale ale. Don’t let the lower IBU’s fool you. This beer was hop-nirvana. But again, not so bitter as to be overly assertive. It took a bit more hops than normal since you have to increase the amount to achieve the target IBU, but every ounce of those hops was present and accounted for when it came to flavor and aroma.

At 4.5%, this was a nice malty beer and everything you’d want in a hoppy ale. If you’re short on the typical “C” hops but have a stash of high AAU’s laying around, give something like this a try and you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

UglyKettle_Pour2.jpg

Batch Size: 11.75 gal
Boil Size: 14.55 gal
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 9.2 SRM
SixShooter_Color.jpg
Estimated IBU: 36 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

SixShooter_Ratio.jpg

Ingredients:
------------
14.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)

1.25 oz Nugget [11.00%] (20 min)
1.00 oz Summit [16.50%] (15 min)
1.00 oz Galena [13.00%] (10 min)
1.00 oz Phoenix [12.00%] (1 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (1 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [7.80%] (1 min)

After knockout, let steep for 10 minutes.

1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Dry hop each 5-gallons with 1-ounce (Brewers Choice, I used Mt Hood)

niquejim said:
Try my Fat owl Ale, based on one of his beers. The steeping at 180f really brings out the flavor.
I like the temp reduction idea (180 degrees).

I do let mine steep for about 10 minutes, but right at flameout with no temperature drop.

Maybe next time I'll turn on the tap for the IC and let her chill for 5 minutes and then let it sit for 15-20 minutes.

I do like to steep my dry hop hops in 150 degree water for 1/2 an hour before adding to the secondary.

Back