Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > first attempt coopers pale and lager

Old 03-04-2008, 05:08 AM   #11
brewNdrink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos
mmm from what your saying i think ill add 7 grams of the youngs to the coopers yeast and start to in some liquid to see how she goes
my only worry was that the youngs might not be as good as the cooper and change the flavour of the beers
cheers

I've also noticed that Coopers has some different recipes for their kits on their site:
http://coopers.com.au/homebrew/makeBeer.php

If you want a very lite summer beer, simply add 1-2 cups of dextrose instead of 6 cups (1kg) to the Coopers lager kit. You''l get about a 3% alc. beer.

True, less sugar the better the beer. 1kg of dextrose in these kits makes it taste almost like cider.

20-21C works good for the Coopers dry yeast for fermentation, higher temperatures makes the beer fruity/funky tasting. I use Nottingham yeast whenever I can. Cleaner taste.

I've done about 6 batches of Coopers and am ready for the Canadian Blonde kit in a few days for a simple summer beer.

Cheers.
Tony.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:30 PM   #12
grasshopper1917
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just for he record I have never had problems with the yeast that came with the Coopers kits - only problem I has was human error. One batch I fermented in the summer and it reached temps over 75 degrees - the beer turned out tasting fine - but holy moley - talk about hangovers hehehehe

I have also used the 11g packs of nottingham yeast instead of the one in the kit to spice it up - i fnd the nottinghams works really good - cheers