Water Profile Question??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MashStirBrew

Reaction score
I have been studying up on water and have found a few things that I need some clarification of. According to Beersmith and various other places Burton on Trent water profile is this:

Calcium 275
Magnesium 40
Sodium 25
Sulfate 450
Chloride 35
Bicarbonate 260

Now according to Ray Daniels in “Designing Great Beers”. Burton’s water profile is completely different:

Calcium 294
Magnesium 24
Sodium 24
Sulfate 801
Chloride 36
Bicarbonate 0

Ray also states that having Bicarbonate levels over “50ppm” should be reduced to produce the “crisp, clean, bitterness of the style.(English Pale) But according to other sources like BS Burton’s bicarbonate level is anywhere from 250 to 300.

Am I missing something? Most of the profiles Ray lists don’t seem to come close to what others have listed. I can understand being close but these are way off.
The reason I ask is my local water is close but could use some additional hardness if I go by the BS values. But if I go from Ray’s values I need to use RO and add.

Davenport IA profile:

Calcium 63
Magnesium 34
Sodium 15
Sulfate 34
Chloride 29
Bicarbonate 280 (total alkalinity CaC03 173)
Ph 7.3

I am a complete NEWB when it comes to water and for that matter AG beer but this one has me stumped. Can anyone clear this one up for me?

Yes I did as a matter of fact! It was on a forum somewhere ( I will try to find the link). Some guy had the same question and emailed Ray. He responded with " I was wrong etc.etc. Burton water is anywhere from 180 - 280 or something like that " Basically ignore the designing great beers mention of "anything above 50 bicarbs is bad. This is not the link I am referring to but it is an article written by Ray with a list of water profiles. http://www.allaboutbeer.com/homebrew/water3.html

Or you can contact him there I believe??

Back