Specialty IPA: Red IPA Red Dragon IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
SafAle us-05
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
18 lbs 12.0 ozPale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 72.82 %
4 lbs Vienna Malt (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 15.53 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.77 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.88 %
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold pellet [8.90 %] (60 min) Hops 13.0 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold pellet [8.90 %] (45 min) Hops 11.9 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold pellet [8.90 %] (30 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold pellet [8.90 %] (15 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold pellet [8.90 %] (0 min) Hops -
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold pellet [8.90 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
2.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 25.75 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 28.84 qt of water at 178.8 F 152.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 14.94 qt of water at 211.4 F 168.0 F
Sparge with 6.11 gal of 168.0 F water.

This is the best beer I have not only made but one of the best IPA's I have ever had.
It has such a great red/copper color, it's crystal clear and the Amarillo hops really make this a great beer. With the high FG and the high hops it's not a beer that will make someone jump because it's so bitter.
Even my buddy that will not drink IPA's (he hates bitter beers) loved this one and drank 4 pints of it one night.
I will be entering this in a comp in April and we will see how it does.

KLVMS-RedDragonGravity_Hops_Ratio.JPG

VQRXQ-MVC-700F.JPG

The problem now is getting that much of that hop is not only hard to do but will cost a load too. :mad:

I just got the score sheet.
It scored a 39 which puts it as "Excellent" "beers in this range may have no flaws but may be mising the intangibles for a world class beer."

All the coments were good but they said that they would like to have more flavor and dry hops.
This being a 10 gal batch I have noticed that the 2nd keg (the one I sent in) did seem to have less then the first. The 2nd keg sat at 60* for about 4 months while I drank the other keg. Maybe the hops mellowed out.

I may try another .5-1 oz at 5 minutes and maybe another 1-1.5 oz dry. All depends on if I can get the hops.

Just ordered 8 oz (4 from 2 different places) so I may try to get another 2 before I brew it again.

I would think 4 months would mellow out a bit. I dry hopped with about 1 once of amarillo/simcoe in 5 gallons and its got a great nose but is only about 3 weeks old.

I will add this to my list of beers to make.

Have you made any changes to this recipe FSR402? I'm currently brewing it now. Gonna go ahead and do a 5 min addition also.

-bn

Have you made any changes to this recipe FSR402? I'm currently brewing it now. Gonna go ahead and do a 5 min addition also.

-bn

I have done the extra addition and the extra dry hop and it was great to me but when I submitted it to a comp it cam back with lower scores and notes about the hops being over the top.
So I have left it alone.

Oh that looks pretty fantastic! Also this could be way less costly if you bought a lb of Amarillo from HopsDirect. ;)

I think I know what I'm making for summer time!

I have done the extra addition and the extra dry hop and it was great to me but when I submitted it to a comp it cam back with lower scores and notes about the hops being over the top.
So I have left it alone.

Looks like a good recipe. That's what happens with competitions... One judge says something's broken, so in fixing it you create a new "problem" with another judge. Only, with an American IPA, I believe there is no such thing as over-the-top hop aroma, as long as the malt is still at least detectable. Congrats on your silver!

Everyone in my brewclub liked this recipe and i have an empty keg to prove it:mad: Colour was a bit off (my fault) but it was really good and enjoyable nevertheless.
I am thinking of brewing an alternate version with Amarillo (aroma) and N. Sauvin (bittering / dry hopping). Any ideas on how would flavors and aromas blend in this case? Am guessing it should be interesting at least.

Everyone in my brewclub liked this recipe and i have an empty keg to prove it:mad: Colour was a bit off (my fault) but it was really good and enjoyable nevertheless.
I am thinking of brewing an alternate version with Amarillo (aroma) and N. Sauvin (bittering / dry hopping). Any ideas on how would flavors and aromas blend in this case? Am guessing it should be interesting at least.

I have never used N. Sauvin so I have no idea.

Looks like a nice recipe! Love that Amarillo. But it seems to me that the recipe might be a bit easy on the IBUs. I don't know, but you'll maybe score even better in a competition if you bump it up by 5-10 IBUs as it's at the very low end of the BJCP scale. Anyway, looks tasty!

I am very interested in brewing this recipe....it looks fantastic and you have done a great job formulating this recipe! Just look at all these great comments!

I was wondering.... How would a dry hopping with 2 ounces of Cascade? On top of all the Amarillo additions.

Any thoughts? Am I an idiot.... Normally I'm a stout man, but I've begun to dabble in the hoppier waters. So this is uncharted territory for me.

I am very interested in brewing this recipe....it looks fantastic and you have done a great job formulating this recipe! Just look at all these great comments!

I was wondering.... How would a dry hopping with 2 ounces of Cascade? On top of all the Amarillo additions.

Any thoughts? Am I an idiot.... Normally I'm a stout man, but I've begun to dabble in the hoppier waters. So this is uncharted territory for me.

You could do it and I'm sure it would be just fine. But they may get lost behind all that Amarillo. There is only one way to find out though.:D

I know that not all people agree with me, but I feel that dry hopping with a lot of Cascade seems to impart some green, grassy aromas that I'm not a big fan of. However, I think Centennial would work as it has a bit similiar aroma. Also, I love combining Amarillo and Simcoe, they really go nice together and seem to fill each other out. The Amarillo usually has a quite sweet orange'ish aroma, so I think the fresh, piney, tangy, pungent, passion fruit'ey Simcoe aromas are a perfect match IMHO.

A dash of Cascade at flame out would probobly be nice, though...

I know that not all people agree with me, but I feel that dry hopping with a lot of Cascade seems to impart some green, grassy aromas that I'm not a big fan of. However, I think Centennial would work as it has a bit similiar aroma. Also, I love combining Amarillo and Simcoe, they really go nice together and seem to fill each other out. The Amarillo usually has a quite sweet orange'ish aroma, so I think the fresh, piney, tangy, pungent, passion fruit'ey Simcoe aromas are a perfect match IMHO.

A dash of Cascade at flame out would probobly be nice, though...

Thanks for the input! I might go with Simcoe then... Are there any commercial brews I could pick up that use both Amarillo and Simcoe together that you like to give me an idea.

Thanks for the input! I might go with Simcoe then... Are there any commercial brews I could pick up that use both Amarillo and Simcoe together that you like to give me an idea.

I believe that Dogfish Head's 60 min IPA uses both Amarillo and Simcoe. And Dude's Lake Walk Pale Ale recipe here on the forum as well. And that recipe rocks. =)

Hi

just tried your red dragon IPA, it is great!!

how much head are you expecting with this recipe?

I am getting a bit more than I would like, and was wondering if..

a) this recipe is made with a large head (30% beer to 70% foam)

or

b) I did something that increased the head production.

My first try I dry-hopped with pelleted hops, but for try two I used leaf hops. this decreased the foam, but it is still too much.

Do you think I could have created this over-foam during the mash?
If I did not leave it long enough in the secondary? (fg was 1.012)
suspended particles causing problems?
too much protein in wort? (I had to substitute carastan for the . . caramel/crystal malt)

Do you have any suggestions for less foam production?

I don't want to alter your recipe (its great!), but I also don't like snorting foam with every sip. So I am trying to figure out what happened so I can tweak it for a bit less head

notes:
no, it is not contaminated (beer is great)
yes we pour gently, down the side of the glass
no, it is not over carbonated

thanks for your time and great recipe

Back