When do you remove your hop bag from kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esmitee

Reaction score
Hi Guys and girls, Question,
When do you remove your hop bag {If you use one}from kettle at end of boil?

This question kinda goes along the lines of this other thread below, about first wort hops.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=353020

I leave the bag in as long as It takes to drip out with some help from pressing it if I have several oz's hops in the bag. At flame out, I put my spoon across the top of my keggle and put the hop bag carefully on top to start it drip draining.

I'll start the chiller and start the whirpool going and a few other prep items.
Then I press and squeese the bag till it dont drip much, then take it away.

When.How and What do you do with the hops after flame out.

I'm well awhere. that if you just toss hops into your boil kettle , Your not getting them out. they stay till you fill your fermentors up, trying to leave them behind!!!

I've just tossed em in, used a bag, let the bag drip, you name it. I've done it multiple ways with the same beer and not noticed much difference any way.

I drip dry as well, followed by a little squeeze. If I'm using hops after the flame out I do them in a different bag and remove the in boil additions.

Whole hops are great after flame- I'll throw those guys in and strain them out!

I like to free ball my hops. I noticed a remarkable increase in utilization and aroma when I ditched the hop spider.

But now I have to deal with clogs all the time.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I have always left the hops in weather in a bag or free floating. I was interested in say you do a whirlpool addition for say 20 minutes when you chill down to 170 f and whirlpool them, I just leave everything in till I finally drain the Boil kettle

I have always left the hops in weather in a bag or free floating. I was interested in say you do a whirlpool addition for say 20 minutes when you chill down to 170 f and whirlpool them, I just leave everything in till I finally drain the Boil kettle

That's what I do also, leave the hops bag in until I've cooled down the wort, then let the bag drain/drip, and then I'm ready to put the wort into the fermenter.

I have been recently seriously considering ditching the bag/spider as I also believe I am getting better utilization/flavors/aromas without. I've also considered dumping the bag(s) into the fermentor so they stay if for the duration. I would think it wouldn't matter, but I've been reluctant over concern of "grassy" beer.

I use a stainless spider and I dont pull it until the beer is in the carboy. When I used bags, I pulled then when I transferred to the carboy bc I was afraid of them clogging the diptube.

I've always just left all of mine in until I drain my BK into the fermenter. I didn't know anyone did otherwise haha

Me too. I have to use a bag/hops spider for whole leaf hops since they clog my pump with my system, but I leave pellet hops loose. No way I could remove them, even if I tried! :D

Me too. I have to use a bag/hops spider for whole leaf hops since they clog my pump with my system, but I leave pellet hops loose. No way I could remove them, even if I tried! :D

Thanks for the validation Yoop, I was starting to think I've been doing it wrong for years :D

I like to free ball my hops. I noticed a remarkable increase in utilization and aroma when I ditched the hop spider.

But now I have to deal with clogs all the time.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I mostly use pellet hops. If I do a 5 gal batch with only an ounce or 2, I'll just toss them in, if it's 3 or more ounces, I bag them cause a clogged pump or chiller jsut plain ......SUCKS!.... well it don't really suck at all LOL :mug:

Back