Foodsaver degassing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mismost

Reaction score
I have been thinking about a vacuum pump to degas wine, but I did not want to lay out any cash for something that will only be used maybe a dozen times a year.

I had a Foodsaver, that's a vacuum pump. Mine had an accessory port and I bought a 5 dollar hose. Hooked that up to a orange plastic carboy cap, hit the switch, and it worked!

Have two batches of wine that have been in the carboys for a couple of months....only got a couple of bubbles. Ran on a batch of 2 month old cider that has been taking forever to clear....and got a ton of bubbles, like piles of foamy bubbles....still working on that one in fact.

Think I'll keep playing with it. I want to see if it will pull enough vacuum to rack and rack through a filter.

I killed the wifes machine doing that, had to buy her a better one I am not allowed to use. The vacuum is not enough to degass a carboy, you are only pulling out the easy saturated gasses, big bubbles look impressive at the start. A brake bleeder holds more vacuum and is hard to break. If you search ebay for a while some decent oiless pumps show up, so much easier to have a real pump, you will use it to transfer as well as to degass since when you are transferring from one carboy to another with a vacuum you degass a little each time, you can also use it to bottle, much better than a spigot if you get a vacuum bottler. WVMJ

I killed the wifes machine doing that, had to buy her a better one I am not allowed to use. The vacuum is not enough to degass a carboy, you are only pulling out the easy saturated gasses, big bubbles look impressive at the start. A brake bleeder holds more vacuum and is hard to break. If you search ebay for a while some decent oiless pumps show up, so much easier to have a real pump, you will use it to transfer as well as to degass since when you are transferring from one carboy to another with a vacuum you degass a little each time, you can also use it to bottle, much better than a spigot if you get a vacuum bottler. WVMJ

I hear you! We make big batches of sausage and have burned up a couple of units....this one is heavy duty.....and I like watching the bubbles! The redhead was less than thrilled when she saw it hooked up to a carboy....I was warned!

I hacked a 12 volt auto air compressor into a vacuum pump....it worked....worked so well it imploded it's makeshift paint can housing. I'll probably spend more cobbling one up that just buying one.

Anyone ever used a air mattress pump to vacuum? Those things push quite a bit of air...plus I have one now!

I've been using the All In One Wine Pump for years, I'm a firm believer of getting the right tool for the job, this is one of the best purchases that I've made, check it out here, not only does it degas, you can rack, filter and bottle wine and beer.

Latest posts

Back