Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > CAUTION!! Don't make the same mistake.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
oster99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default CAUTION!! Don't make the same mistake.

Judging how the day was going prior to the commencement of the my second AG brew session, I should have known to double check everything just in case. In my haste to get going, I forgot to check the hose clamps on my wort chiller. So, after the boil, in goes the chiller and I wait until it is cool. Little did I know that a leak at the hose connection had allowed 2 gallons of unboiled water into my fresh wort. So after much cursing and stomping around I admitted defeat. I probably could have boiled the excess water off but I was concerned about the effect it would have on the finished product. OG with the extra 2 gallons was 1.020...S#$T.

Check your equipment!!

Old 02-28-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
discgolfin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oster99
Judging how the day was going prior to the commencement of the my second AG brew session, I should have known to double check everything just in case. In my haste to get going, I forgot to check the hose clamps on my wort chiller. So, after the boil, in goes the chiller and I wait until it is cool. Little did I know that a leak at the hose connection had allowed 2 gallons of unboiled water into my fresh wort. So after much cursing and stomping around I admitted defeat. I probably could have boiled the excess water off but I was concerned about the effect it would have on the finished product. OG with the extra 2 gallons was 1.020...S#$T.

Check your equipment!!

did you start the chiller and than walk away? I stand and sir..so I noticed a small leak once and fixed it...I guess you could always boil some DME to up the gravity.

Jay

Drinking: 60 minute IPA, Honkers Ale, Wheat, cherry wheat, Appfelwine,

On Deck: Imperial Stout,

Old 02-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
TheDom

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That's rough man. The first time I used my IC it sounded like someone peeing as soon as I turned the water on. I stood there confused for a minute ( a bit druck) until I realized that it was trickling out of the hose clamp and corrected it.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have had the same problems with an IC. Boiling it for 15 minutes tends to soften up the rubber and thus the hose clamps are lose. But I also don't walk away from it.

I say to boil up some more water with DME/hops and make it a 10 gallon batch of something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 02-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
Fingers

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

I always wrap a rag around the connections so if they do leak, they won't spray into the wort.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've got 2 IC's. The larger one has welded garden-hose fittings on the in and out connections, and I use that almost exclusively. The smaller one has clear vinyl tubing clamped onto the copper with little plastic clips...and I hadn't used it in a very long time. So I hooked it up last month because my hoses were inoperable due to sub-freezing temps. Ack, it leaked like crazy. I had to reposition the tubing against the copper and jimmy with the clamps a little, but I got it pretty much fixed---not before spraying some tap water into my wort (luckily it was still near-boiling).

I have some extra worm clamps from my kegging setup that I think I will use to replace those stupid little snap-clip clamps...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 02-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #7
Krazy Bazturd

Recipes 

I eliminated the worry by sweating a couple extensions onto my wort chiller so the hose connection were outside of the kettle. It also helps keep the hoses away from the flame while the chiller is in the kettle.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #8
mmb
FFS, really?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3370 Times on 3251 Posts
Likes Given: 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Bazturd
I eliminated the worry by sweating a couple extensions onto my wort chiller so the hose connection were outside of the kettle. It also helps keep the hoses away from the flame while the chiller is in the kettle.
I'm doing that this weekend! Great idea!

Old 02-28-2008, 07:40 PM   #9
tbone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

KB - that is exactly what I am doing at this time. I am tired of wrapping cloth on the clamps.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:16 PM   #10
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

i had this happen too, only it was maybe a half gallon that was added. didn't drop my OG too bad, so I fermented, and had no problems.

kind of amazing because the hose from the faucet to the chiller is anything but clean/sanitary.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10