Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Double Chocolate Stout...

Old 02-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2883 Times on 1701 Posts
Likes Given: 3514

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedragoon85
... and that is about it. I was curious to about the 2-row since I read somewhere that it is a base grain. However, it is an extract brew, but it would be nice to get that doubt out of my head as to why I'm using 2-row.
I know with victory malt, you can both mash and steep...So that can be used either in Extract with grains or AG... I've not seen 2 row in the grainbill for other company's kits...I wonder if Forrest at Austin Homebrew Supply can jump on to explain why. I googled "steeping 2 row" last night and found no info....

But I did find a couple extract w/grains recipes on the web that included it (one for a hefe), but they usually called for a 60 minute steep rather than the traditional 30 minutes. hmmm...

But looking at some AG info, it looks like 155 is an acceptable temp for mashing with 2 row... SO it looks like there is some enzymatic action gained from steeping with it.

Even HBT's own wiki lists it as requiring mashing http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Malts_Chart

I just ran through a bunch of the recipes on LD carlson's website, they don't include it in the grainbills for their BB extract w/spc grains kits.

Methinks the AHS kit will make a really complex and excellant beer...but 15 minutes steeping doesn't sound long enough though...I'd go a minimum 30...maybe even consider treating it like a PM or the hefe recipe and give it a whole hour...

But it's really interesting that they included it...

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-28-2008, 02:04 PM   #12
FatMonsters
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Frink
I don't know that 1 oz. of cocoa will give you that much of a chocolate flavor. I use 4 oz. of unsweetened bakers chocolate in my chocolate stout, is powdered cocoa that much stronger?
I don't think the powder is stronger per se than the unsweetened chocolate, but I'm no expert. I used 4 oz in my mint chocolate stout, and its perfect for me. I agree though that 1 oz is low.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:17 PM   #13
Austinhomebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Frink
I don't know that 1 oz. of cocoa will give you that much of a chocolate flavor. I use 4 oz. of unsweetened bakers chocolate in my chocolate stout, is powdered cocoa that much stronger?
Trust me I wouldn't steer you wrong. This is my recipe and people really like it as is. I get the most complaints when people throw other ingredients in. 1 oz. of unsweetened cocoa is 1/4 cup. It is a fair amount of chocolate on top of the chocolate grains in the recipe.

Forrest

Old 02-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #14
FatMonsters
Recipes 

I thought 1 oz was 1/8 of a cup? But anyway, if the recipe works as is and everyone states they like. I guess follow it!

Old 02-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #15
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew
Trust me I wouldn't steer you wrong. This is my recipe and people really like it as is. I get the most complaints when people throw other ingredients in. 1 oz. of unsweetened cocoa is 1/4 cup. It is a fair amount of chocolate on top of the chocolate grains in the recipe.

Forrest
MY hero...I knew you'd come!!!!

So why 2 row in your steeping grainbill? Until this thread came up I never saw it mentioned in conjunction with Extract w/ grain recipes before....Should we be adding some with our own recipes as well?

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-28-2008, 04:02 PM   #16
Austinhomebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 91

We added 2-row to all of our kits. 2-row has enzymes that (in theory) help "convert" more sugars and flavor out of the specialty grains. It is a good idea to add a little to every recipe. If you read about 2-row and mashing. it has nothing to do with getting the sugars out of the 1/2 pound of 2 row added. We add it for the enzymes and not the sugar. If you were trying to convert the sugars of the 2-row then you would need to steep it longer. If you follow the instructions you will be ok.

Forrest

Old 02-28-2008, 04:40 PM   #17
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
We added 2-row to all of our kits. 2-row has enzymes that (in theory) help "convert" more sugars and flavor out of the specialty grains. It is a good idea to add a little to every recipe. If you read about 2-row and mashing. it has nothing to do with getting the sugars out of the 1/2 pound of 2 row added. We add it for the enzymes and not the sugar. If you were trying to convert the sugars of the 2-row then you would need to steep it longer. If you follow the instructions you will be ok.

Forrest
WOW!! You learn something new everyday!

Thanks Forrest.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #18
RickWG
Recipes 

Quote:

Forrest
I did this with a scottish ale kit that I got. I did a little mash with 2 lbs of 2row and the specialty grains and the beer came out AMAZING! The 2row added a nice mouth feel and some extra sugars that gave the beer a good kick. Head retention is awesome as well. If I do extracts again I will always do them partial/little mash.
Should be all grain by next weekend though.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:05 PM   #19
colonel_colon
Recipes 

I did a chocolate mint stout last fall/winter and used some godiva chocolate liqueur in the secondary. It had a fantastic taste, but the nose lacked a little. If I tried it again I was debating using the Godiva at bottling time instead.
How did the extract work as far as smell was concerned?
Bottled: English Mild

Old 02-29-2008, 03:37 PM   #20
MrShinyCadillacness
Recipes 

Im looking for an extract clone of Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, or if anyone has anything very close, Id really appreciate it