American Porter Bee Cave Brewery Robust Porter - Page 10 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American Porter Bee Cave Brewery Robust Porter

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2009, 03:48 AM   #91
GroosBrewz
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
West Richland, WA, WA
Posts: 817
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Ok it's been eleven days since I brewed this.. I missed my OG, as usual, (Beermsith gave an OG of 1.066, I got 1.054, ouch!).. Been in the 2dary for 5 days, took a gravity tonight and got a reading of 1.010 or 5.7 ABV.. my question is, any idea why mine fermented much lower than Edworts (1.010? It seems since my Og was so much lower (ie, less sugar), then my FG should be a little higher than Ed's, not lower.. I used the same yeast and followed the recipe to the letter..

Thanks for any ideas you might have-
Chris
__________________
Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 2- Evening Bite Pale Ale
Tap 3- Twilight Clone
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"


 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:50 PM   #92
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
the sun
Posts: 15,536
Liked 328 Times on 324 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrider4 View Post
Ok it's been eleven days since I brewed this.. I missed my OG, as usual, (Beermsith gave an OG of 1.066, I got 1.054, ouch!).. Been in the 2dary for 5 days, took a gravity tonight and got a reading of 1.010 or 5.7 ABV.. my question is, any idea why mine fermented much lower than Edworts (1.010? It seems since my Og was so much lower (ie, less sugar), then my FG should be a little higher than Ed's, not lower.. I used the same yeast and followed the recipe to the letter..

Thanks for any ideas you might have-
Chris
Glad to hear you brewed this one up. It makes sense that you have a lower gravity reading, given that you started with a lower than expected gravity reading.

There could be other factors involved too, but with the simple percentages based off the average attenuation of 75% you would be at 1.0135. The extra bit could be from a different fermenting temp, higher yeast count, one of the biggest would be your mash temp, meaning if you mashed at 150 like the recipe calls for you are going to have some very fermentelble wort.

I was the opposite on this recipe, I overshot my OG with 1.078 and had a FG of 1.019 which is right at the 75% mark, but still plenty sweet.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:51 AM   #93
GroosBrewz
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
West Richland, WA, WA
Posts: 817
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
Glad to hear you brewed this one up. It makes sense that you have a lower gravity reading, given that you started with a lower than expected gravity reading.

There could be other factors involved too, but with the simple percentages based off the average attenuation of 75% you would be at 1.0135. The extra bit could be from a different fermenting temp, higher yeast count, one of the biggest would be your mash temp, meaning if you mashed at 150 like the recipe calls for you are going to have some very fermentelble wort.

I was the opposite on this recipe, I overshot my OG with 1.078 and had a FG of 1.019 which is right at the 75% mark, but still plenty sweet.
Thanks for the info.. I snuck a little last night and was surprised at hoppy it tasted.. I expected it to be much sweeter.. But lets see what happens after another week in the 2ndary and a few weeks in the bottle.. by the way, if it's not too much trouble, can you tell me how you worked out those percentages.. I realy on Beersmith too much and I need to learn stuff like this..
__________________
Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 2- Evening Bite Pale Ale
Tap 3- Twilight Clone
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"


 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:06 AM   #94
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
the sun
Posts: 15,536
Liked 328 Times on 324 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrider4 View Post
Thanks for the info.. I snuck a little last night and was surprised at hoppy it tasted.. I expected it to be much sweeter.. But lets see what happens after another week in the 2ndary and a few weeks in the bottle.. by the way, if it's not too much trouble, can you tell me how you worked out those percentages.. I realy on Beersmith too much and I need to learn stuff like this..
No probs, to calculate attenuation percentage, the use this equation:
[(OG-FG)/(OG-1)] x 100

Basically take the points that the gravity dropped and divide that by the original, or in the case above 1.078 - 1.019 = .059 / .078 = 75.6%

You can leave off the 1s too since they will just cancel eachother out anyways.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:06 AM   #95
GroosBrewz
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
West Richland, WA, WA
Posts: 817
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
No probs, to calculate attenuation percentage, the use this equation:
[(OG-FG)/(OG-1)] x 100

Basically take the points that the gravity dropped and divide that by the original, or in the case above 1.078 - 1.019 = .059 / .078 = 75.6%

You can leave off the 1s too since they will just cancel eachother out anyways.

Thanks! I am going to use that next time...

__________________
Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 2- Evening Bite Pale Ale
Tap 3- Twilight Clone
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:51 PM   #96
kcstrom
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Kansas City area
Posts: 89

So I mistakenly made a starter with some washed Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) last night instead of the 1098 (British Ale) that I planned to use. Should I just pitch it today and hope for the best, or should I go pick up some more Nottingham (or perhaps another smack pack of 1098)?

Thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #97
GroosBrewz
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
West Richland, WA, WA
Posts: 817
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstrom View Post
So I mistakenly made a starter with some washed Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) last night instead of the 1098 (British Ale) that I planned to use. Should I just pitch it today and hope for the best, or should I go pick up some more Nottingham (or perhaps another smack pack of 1098)?

Thanks.

Other guys on here have used american ale yeast and had great beers.. I think you are ok...
__________________
Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 2- Evening Bite Pale Ale
Tap 3- Twilight Clone
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #98
ReverbbqBrew
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Posts: 42

Thanks Edwort.

I've made your haus pale, your apfelwine, your stone IPA clone, and your rye, and they've all been such amazing examples of brewing elegance. So many brewers and breweries try to make recipes that comes out muddled and confused.

Its funny, friends of mine who drink your recipes always remark how "clean" and "fresh" they taste.

Bee Cave Robust Porter up next.
__________________
Beaglethorpe Brew Co.
Sacramento, CA


Primary: Rorsharch Pale Ale - Edwort's Haus with 3 lbs of Roasted Buckwheat for kicks
Conditioning: Biermuncher's Blue Moon
On Tap: Jamil's Evil Twin


Check out my beer and brewing chronicles: Cockale.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:37 AM   #99
kcstrom
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Kansas City area
Posts: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrider4 View Post
Other guys on here have used american ale yeast and had great beers.. I think you are ok...
I went ahead and used the 1056 today. I'll let you know how it turns out in 6 weeks!

kcstrom

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:51 PM   #100
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
the sun
Posts: 15,536
Liked 328 Times on 324 Posts


BTW Ed, I was getting toward the end of this keg and decided to use some of it for some cooking. I used some while I pan fried some brats while I had some in a pot with the kraut, then threw in the brats when the outsides were cooked and simmered to reduce for about 30 minutes. They turned out great!

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tiki Ridge Porter (Robust Porter) C-Rider Homebrew Ale Recipes 0 10-12-2012 12:22 AM
Deception stout vs bee cave robust porter acuenca General Beer Discussion 5 11-09-2011 05:56 PM
bee cave robust porter krausen layer after 4 weeks??? Beernewb Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 0 08-04-2010 03:11 AM
Spruce robust porter/christmas porter? cs2to4 Recipes/Ingredients 1 08-19-2009 10:15 PM
Rye Porter to enter into BJCP 12B. Robust Porter ? sirsloop Recipes/Ingredients 11 02-13-2008 03:17 PM


Forum Jump