Trains are Spooky - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Trains are Spooky

Old 02-27-2008, 02:47 AM   #1
Beerthoven
Recipes 

May 2007
Cary, NC
Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

My property is adjacent to a railway line. The tracks are only 150' or so from my house. They don't blow their horns when they are going by, so its not too noisy actually. But every once in a while a big heavy freight train goes by real slow. They shake the ground and make some odd clanking and hissing noises, and really deep rumbles. For a moment it makes me feel like a giant terminator machine is coming to kill me and there is nothing I can do to stop it.

Primary/Secondary: #133 Scottish 80/-
Kegged: #132 American Wheat
Planned: IPA, Brown, Pale Ale

Old 02-27-2008, 02:51 AM   #2
eschatz

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Terre Haute, IN
Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts

i have lived next to the train tracks for years. i just sleep through them. i dont even notice anymore. sometimes my friends complain about it but i just sleep through. you're probably right about that terminator thing though!

What's tappening? :D

Old 02-27-2008, 02:52 AM   #3
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2007
Southern Oregon
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

There isn't anything you can do to stop it, RUN!

Old 02-27-2008, 03:14 AM   #4
Evets

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Lancaster County, Pa.
Liked 229 Times on 101 Posts

I've always loved freight trains. I used to spend every Sat. on the tracks watching them. I only wished I lived next to a railroad track.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:15 AM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts

I'm in the flight path between Portland and S.F. The planes are fairly high when they go over, but the shape of the valley produces some very odd multi-path rumbling. Even though I've been here 3.5 years, sometimes it takes a while to identify the sound. And sometimes, it's a piece of heavy equipment chomping its way through the forest.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-27-2008, 03:19 AM   #6
Beerthoven
Recipes 

May 2007
Cary, NC

Normally I do like the trains. It was one of the things that attracted me to this house. My two boys absolutely love them. But every once in a while one goes by that has a certain menace to it, and it creeps me out.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:24 AM   #7
Limited Visibility
Recipes 

Feb 2008
North Phoenix, AZ

In my small town we get a little over 100 trains a day and I don't even hear them anymore.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
Bedlam

Recipes 

Dec 2006
East Tennessee
Liked 54 Times on 37 Posts

I've always had a fondness for trains and always wave at engineers when they go by. They almost always wave back.

But I agree that there can be a certain creepiness about them, which I'd always attributed to some scary stories that my great uncle used to tell me when I was a kid. He was the postmaster on The City of New Orleans (remember that song? Same train.). He used to tell ghost stories and was REALLY convincing. So trains have always had a kind of etheral quality to them in my mind...

Old 02-27-2008, 02:59 PM   #9
beergears

Recipes 

Oct 2007
somewhere west of Boston Harba'
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam
I've always had a fondness for trains and always wave at engineers when they go by. They almost always wave back.

BMWMOA members, maybe..?

Old 02-27-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
Beerthoven
Recipes 

May 2007
Cary, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam

But I agree that there can be a certain creepiness about them, which I'd always attributed to some scary stories that my great uncle used to tell me when I was a kid. He was the postmaster on The City of New Orleans (remember that song? Same train.). He used to tell ghost stories and was REALLY convincing. So trains have always had a kind of etheral quality to them in my mind...
Trains and journeys "out of this world" have always been linked in my mind as well. Not sure why. I remember reading a book of ghost stories when I was young kid that had several stories with trains in it. One in particular where a man is given a stop watch by the Devil in exchange for his soul. The watch is magical and the man can press the stop button at any time to stop time and stay in a particular moment for ever. Of course, the man never does because he always expects something better to come along in life. Finally the Devil takes possession of the man and they are riding a train to Hell. The man pushes the button on the the stop watch before they get to Hell, so they are all trapped on the train forever. That one stuck with me. "The Polar Express" is a recent example of a train story that goes somewhere magical.