The 2016 Minnesota Mashout has begun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dropping off my three entries tomorrow. I wussed out and didn't enter my weird imperial dark hefe-saison-weizen frankenbeer.

I did toss in a entry into British Brown Ale (attempted clone of rogue hazelnut nectar, the hazelnuts isn't come out strong so didn't do clone). Rhubarb strawberry ale in fruit, and a monster double black IPA in its respective category.

Contemplating adding my roggenbier that scored a 41 at Badger Brew Off back in November, but I don't want my confidence shattered on an old rye beer that's probably too old.

I entered my semi-sweet, sparkling, hydromel cider and American stout.

Question: I volunteered to help sort and steward, is there anything I should know in advance?

I only entered one beer, a Belgian "enkel" (patersbier). I was quite pleased with it, so I'll be interested to see if that correlates to a good score.

I am looking at doing a series of Belgian beers since I ran out of pale ale malt and only have Pilsner left. What did your enkel recipe look like?

I am looking at doing a series of Belgian beers since I ran out of pale ale malt and only have Pilsner left. What did your enkel recipe look like?

I looked at a few recipes online and picked some elements I thought I'd like. I ended up doing this.

Many recipes call for sugar, and some have spices. I did neither of those. Wanted to keep it simple.

I looked at a few recipes online and picked some elements I thought I'd like. I ended up doing this.

Many recipes call for sugar, and some have spices. I did neither of those. Wanted to keep it simple.

Amazingly I have all of those ingredients on hand other than I only have 1214 abbey yeast, I can't remember the dry yeast equivalents.

Just got the email over 2,000 bottles of beer, my black IPA is going to be swimming in a sea of entries.

I just sent in a few bottles to get some feedback...hopefully they arrive in time.

Any idea how many participants this competition usually has?

Anybody judging or stewarding for this? I will be judging the evening session on Friday and also helping with the bottle sorting this Sat morning.

With this judging session's point I will advance from BJCP "Recognized" status to "Certified"!:ban:

Ill be stewarding Saturday morning but have not received an email to help sort but did sign up for it.

11 o'clock and we are done sorting beer, several nice growlers that were sampling before we leave. Great conversation with Chris from Bent Brewstillery.

11 o'clock and we are done sorting beer, several nice growlers that were sampling before we leave. Great conversation with Chris from Bent Brewstillery.

I would never think 2000 bottles of beer could be sorted in 2 hours. That's astounding to me. Even if everyone properly labeled their entries. How many volunteers were there?

Either way, hats off to the volunteers and stewards.

My guess, 50? They changed the method this year, that made it go faster and even though there were some issues, it still went fast. I got to meet some great people there as well, they took me in, scars and all with no issues.

Anyone going to the raffle/silent auction? Contemplating going but weather rolling in and don't want to get run off the road by someone speeding in inclement weather.

I was told that they were going to be mailed out Monday, Minnesotans should have them by weeks end.

If you live within two hours of Minneapolis you should be seeing your score sheets in the mail today.

I just got mine and pretty excited to hang up my silver medal for my Black IPA.:ban:

If you live within two hours of Minneapolis you should be seeing your score sheets in the mail today.

I just got mine and pretty excited to hang up my silver medal for my Black IPA.:ban:

Nice work. Yeah, I live NE mpls, so I'll keep my eye open.

Side note: March Mashness in St.Cloud is open for registration too. Maybe they'll appreciate my porter more than the Mashout:(

Nice work. Yeah, I live NE mpls, so I'll keep my eye open.

Side note: March Mashness in St.Cloud is open for registration too. Maybe they'll appreciate my porter more than the Mashout:(

I had three other entries as well that I wanted to just get feedback on in general, I wish my BDSA hadn't come off as plastic-y :(.

I had three other entries as well that I wanted to just get feedback on in general, I wish my BDSA hadn't come off as plastic-y :(.

I usually get decent scores, but nothing stellar. The most common off flavors I get are "slight astringency" and "band aids/medicinal." I'm assuming these are chlorophenols and tannins from too high of mash or sparge ph.

The Mashout and Brew Ha Ha this year will be the first competitions I've entered beer where I adjusted water for these issues. Campden and ph adjustments will hopefully get rid of this. Hopefully my scores come back without these flaws. My uneducated palate tells me I got rid of the astringency, but I never picked up of the other one.

I got 31 on my batch of Yoopers Oatmeal Stout, got hit with Diacetyl and a "Grape Kool-Aid" smell. Both judges told me to leave it on the yeast longer and ferment warmer (70°) to get rid of the issues.

I only got 28 on my cider, Diacetyl again but the big hit was it was out of style, I entered it as an English Cider and they said it was a New World Cider. :confused:

My orange blossom honey wheat scored a 35 and went to mini bos but didn't place at the mash out. But happy with the score and comments. Got it in to the midwinter classic, can't wait to see how it does this weekend.

Back