The Destroyer of Worlds IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
Rehydrated
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 67f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 60f
Code:
The Destroyer of Worlds

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

14-C  India Pale Ale, Imperial IPA

Min OG:  1.075   Max OG:  1.108
Min IBU:    60   Max IBU:   100
Min Clr:     8   Max Clr:    15  Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal):         6.25    Wort Size (Gal):    6.25
Total Grain (Lbs):       17.66
Anticipated OG:          1.087    Plato:             20.88
Anticipated SRM:           9.9
Anticipated IBU:         123.3
Brewhouse Efficiency:       78 %
Wort Boil Time:             90    Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate:      15.00    Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size:    8.06    Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity:      1.067    SG          16.45  Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used:   Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Tinseth
Tinseth Concentration Factor: 1.30
Additional Utilization Used For Mash Hoppings:   -30 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

%     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 33.5     5.91 lbs. Gleneagle's Maris Otter Pale  Great Britain  1.038      5
 49.6     8.75 lbs. Maris Otter Pale Malt         Great Britain  1.038      3
  5.7     1.00 lbs. Victory Malt                  America        1.034     25
  4.2     0.75 lbs. Corn Sugar                    Generic        1.046      0
  2.8     0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L                   America        1.034     40
  4.2     0.75 lbs. Sucanat                       Generic        1.046      1

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  1.50 oz.    Cascade                           Whole    5.75  15.3  Mash H
  3.00 oz.    Galena                            Whole   13.00  92.7  60 min.
  1.00 oz.    Willamette                        Whole    4.10   5.9  20 min.
  2.00 oz.    Willamette                        Whole    4.10   7.1  10 min.
  1.00 oz.    Willamette                        Whole    4.10   1.9  5 min.
  0.50 oz.    Willamette                        Whole    4.10   0.4  2 min.
  2.00 oz.    Willamette                        Whole    4.10   0.0  0 min.
  2.00 oz.    Cascade                           Whole    5.75   0.0  Dry Hop

Yeast
-----

DCL Yeast US-05 Safeale American Ale Yeast

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Multi Step

Grain Lbs:   16.16
Water Qts:   18.76 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal:    4.69 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.16 - Before Additional Infusions

Acid Rest Temp :               0  Time:   0
Protein Rest Temp :            0  Time:   0
Intermediate Rest Temp :     133  Time:  20
Saccharification Rest Temp : 152  Time:  70
Mash-out Rest Temp :         158  Time:  20
Sparge Temp :                170  Time:  10

Total Mash Volume Gal: 5.98 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

This is finally carbonated, and it's a winner. Gotta love the Willamette! 12.5oz of hops make this quite an expensive brew given the times, but oh, it's worth it.

LOVE this beer, Evan! Awesome job. Definitely a beer for hopheads.

Glad you liked it, lorena. It wasn't hoppy enough or bitter enough for Kyle. Go figure. I was starting to doubt myself, thinking maybe it had faded in the bottle...so I had a couple over the weekend and my faith's restored. It's not an over-the-top IIPA, but it's still a damn hoppy beer. I think Kyle's slowly but surely desensitizing himself to hops...I think he puts Ruination in his cheerios in the morning. :p

Seriously, though, I DID expect this beer to be more over-the-top-hoppy given that it's got 12.5oz of hops in it...I think that maybe the flavor/aroma HAS faded a bit given that I brewed it in early December 07.

Looks yummy. How do you think the mash hops come through in the final product? I haven't tried this yet but have been very impressed with the results of my FWH efforts.

The goddess Shiva is sometimes known as the destroyer of worlds; was she the inspiration for the name?

Seriously, though, I DID expect this beer to be more over-the-top-hoppy given that it's got 12.5oz of hops in it...

I really like Willamette as a flavor/aroma hop, but I also think it's rather mild. Maybe if you used a "C" hop, or Summit, or Amarillo or something along those lines you might get more kick. Still, 12.5 oz of hops is a buttload.

Looks yummy. How do you think the mash hops come through in the final product? I haven't tried this yet but have been very impressed with the results of my FWH efforts.

The goddess Shiva is sometimes known as the destroyer of worlds; was she the inspiration for the name?

Mash Hopping, I think, gives you a much more subtle and integrated mid-palate hop character.

The name...well, indirectly I suppose:

We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says, "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.

-J. Robert Oppenheimer

beerthoven said:
I really like Willamette as a flavor/aroma hop, but I also think it's rather mild. Maybe if you used a "C" hop, or Summit, or Amarillo or something along those lines you might get more kick. Still, 12.5 oz of hops is a buttload

It IS mild, almost a noble hop, but I had a crapload of it on hand and wanted to see what it could do in a big hoppy beer. It certainly doesn't deliver the citrusy/piney notes like the C hops tend to do, but what it lacks there it makes up for in spicy, woody flavors.

Glad you liked it, lorena. It wasn't hoppy enough or bitter enough for Kyle. Go figure. I was starting to doubt myself, thinking maybe it had faded in the bottle...so I had a couple over the weekend and my faith's restored. It's not an over-the-top IIPA, but it's still a damn hoppy beer. I think Kyle's slowly but surely desensitizing himself to hops...I think he puts Ruination in his cheerios in the morning. :p

Seriously, though, I DID expect this beer to be more over-the-top-hoppy given that it's got 12.5oz of hops in it...I think that maybe the flavor/aroma HAS faded a bit given that I brewed it in early December 07.

lol... I actually have been brewing not-so-hoppy lately for obvious reasons. DoW is a very good beer, I just expect an IIPA to kick my ass with hops, that's all. :rockin:

edit - send me another bottle so I can make sure that my first review was correct. :D

Hmmmmmmmmm. Ruination with cheerios... sounds grrrrrrrrrrrreat.

lol... I actually have been brewing not-so-hoppy lately for obvious reasons. DoW is a very good beer, I just expect an IIPA to kick my ass with hops, that's all. :rockin:

edit - send me another bottle so I can make sure that my first review was correct. :D

Hmmmmmmmmm. Ruination with cheerios... sounds grrrrrrrrrrrreat.

I know, I was just giving you sh*t. I think beerthoven really gets to the root of what you speak of---what is now apparent is that no matter how much Willamette you use, you'll never get that sappy, piney, citrusy hop rush that you get with Cascade, et al. If all that Willamette had been replaced by Cascade, I daresay it would be more ass-kicking.

I might brew another IIPA soon, actually. I have a sh*tload of hops that are a little old (and thus the IBU's are suspect) but still smell/taste great. Amarillo, etc. Oddly enough, I kicked my keg of Wit last night and put the tap back on my Hop Whore IPA, and that bastard is really hoppy...even though it has less hops than the DoW. I put a bunch of old hop plugs in the mash, first-wort-hopped it, then hit it with a bunch at the end...including those amarillo I speak of. Yuri thought it was too dry, but I think that has to do with bottle issues (I bottled the excess at kegging---about a sixer) because it finished relatively high---1.016 or so---and doesn't taste dry on the palate at all. Bottling with carb tabs is just fraught with peril. Anyway, my point was that I used a bunch of cascade on that one and the hop character is more pronounced...so I don't think I'll be using Willamette in an IPA or IIPA again any time soon.

I know, I was just giving you sh*t. I think beerthoven really gets to the root of what you speak of---what is now apparent is that no matter how much Willamette you use, you'll never get that sappy, piney, citrusy hop rush that you get with Cascade, et al. If all that Willamette had been replaced by Cascade, I daresay it would be more ass-kicking.

I might brew another IIPA soon, actually. I have a sh*tload of hops that are a little old (and thus the IBU's are suspect) but still smell/taste great. Amarillo, etc. Oddly enough, I kicked my keg of Wit last night and put the tap back on my Hop Whore IPA, and that bastard is really hoppy...even though it has less hops than the DoW. I put a bunch of old hop plugs in the mash, first-wort-hopped it, then hit it with a bunch at the end...including those amarillo I speak of. Yuri thought it was too dry, but I think that has to do with bottle issues (I bottled the excess at kegging---about a sixer) because it finished relatively high---1.016 or so---and doesn't taste dry on the palate at all. Bottling with carb tabs is just fraught with peril. Anyway, my point was that I used a bunch of cascade on that one and the hop character is more pronounced...so I don't think I'll be using Willamette in an IPA or IIPA again any time soon.

Warrior, Columbus, Galena, Simcoe and Amarillo are my friends. I rarely use anything other than those in IPA's/IIPA's.

Back