O2 aeration, how to tell when its working

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ru41285

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently bought a O2 aeration system after years of just shaking. I've now used it three times but have trouble determining when it is really going, especially in an ale pale. The first time I used it, it was in a glass carboy so it was a tad easier as I could see the bubbles, but the ale pale is tougher.

How can I tell when the oxygen is really flowing? My regulator is one I bought at my lhbs, which attaches to disposable tanks, has a filter (for some odd reason) attached to a black tube leading to the stone.

If I really really open it up, I can see the wort moving but I feel like I really have to crank it up to do that. Or am I just being a wuss and I should just open it up and let it flow?

Is there a better way to tell if it is working in an ale pale? Or should I just trust it's working? Thanks a lot.

I have always looked through he glass because I don't use buckets, but if you cant see bubbles coming to the surface you could try listening to the regulator to hear the flow.

Don't trust that it's always working. Those aeration stones can become clogged.

There should be a lot of bubbles coming to the surface, but sometimes the wort is too foamy to tell. Raise it up so that the stone is just under the surface for a second or two and see if there are bubbles.

Open it up until you see bubbles breaking the surface and then gently back it off just enough for the bubbles to stop breaking the surface. Then proceed to move the wand around, I just do it for a full minute.

You don't want to keep it where bubbles are breaking the surface as you're just wasting O2.

Rev.

I run my O2 stone in a clear jar of StarSan for a minute. You'll easily see what's going on. Then just transfer to bucket/carboy and start your timer.

Don't forget to put your aeration stone back in some StarSan and turn on the O2 for a few seconds. This avoids clogging the stone w/ wort. Also avoid handling the stone. The oils from your hand can damage the stone.

As for the filter - it's there to keep contaminants out of your wort. The commercial, disposable, tanks are for industrial use. It's not medical grade O2.

I run the O2 for a bit in the star san bucket then straight to fermenters.

Buy a O2 flow Meter from China for cheap and install it in between your filter and the reg. You can consistently set your flow. Get 1-5L one

Back