MoreBeer Torpedo Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EJay

Reaction score
Hi all - I just received a new Morebeer Torpedo keg. I ordered the 2.5G size. I don't know enough about kegging to compare it much to other kegs, but I think I'm pleased so far. I'll probably fiddle with it this weekend (carbonate some water or something).

If anyone has any questions on this or other sizes, please speak up and I'll answer what I can and hopefully others will chime in.

One interesting thing is while the keg is advertised as 2.5G, the packaging and the keg itself says 10L/2.6 gallon. I could not find any statement of origin on the keg or packaging. I'll assume its an import of some sort.

I can post some pics if anyone in interested.

they look very nice and well made. I personally like the rubber handles and feet and have had no problems with them pulling off. I bought a few with loose rubber for cheap and simply re-glued them with car trim adhesive, no problem. The ability to stack with the hoses connected may be of interest to some, I have no use for that feature. Thanks for the post, though. That's how we all keep up on new products.

torpedo.jpg

I just received my 2x 5 gallon ones as well. For $90 they can't be beat. I also have some of the new single-handled versions but I think I might like the torpedos better. They are ball lock, but yeah more akin to pinlock sizing. They're an inch wider or so than my other kegs, but shorter. The height is nicer for me, but for some the width might hamper.

One thing different from standard cornies; the middle is domed upwards with the diptube going down to the side. So you'll drain pretty much the whole keg. I can't say I care one way or another, in my other kegs I always pulled some trub on the first pint and then had perfectly clear beer afterwards, I assume these'll be the same.

I'm kegging a beer this weekend in one, will report back if I have any issues. Don't see why I would. So far very pleased, will be ordering more.

Seems like a decent product (thankfully, they didn't stick that "Big Mouth" curse on this ;))

But the 1/2" wider-than-ball-lock diameter would cost me one keg in my keezer. Bad juju...

Cheers!

For what it's worth, the 2.5/2.6 gallon is 14.5 inches tall. It is no taller with connectors attached. It is 9 inches in diameter around the body, but 9.25 around the handle area.

Empty weight, including lid, is 6 lbs 1.5 ounces.

Labelling says made of 304 stainless steel. Max pressure 130 psi.

I'm very interested in the 1 gallon and 2.5 gallon versions for some small batches. I have a pair of the other "stackable kegs" that are good. How solid do the torpedos feel when stacked?

I'd be curious if anyone can comment if these are wider than standard ball locks. I was thinking of picking up the 7.1 cu ft Danby freezer from Costco soon and would eventually want to fit some of these in it.

Just got one of these as a gift today. Pretty sweet! My only concerns are that the dip tube doesn't go into the outer channel, but touches the dome, so it doesn't seem like it would collect as much as my others.

Also, it looks like when they put it together, they put the liquid dip tube into the gas side originally, as there are scuff marks on the bottom on that side.

Neither of these are really too concerning, though. I look forward to breaking it in!

View attachment 1451099945681.jpg

If anyone has any questions on this or other sizes, please speak up and I'll answer what I can and hopefully others will chime in.

One interesting thing is while the keg is advertised as 2.5G, the packaging and the keg itself says 10L/2.6 gallon. I could not find any statement of origin on the keg or packaging. I'll assume its an import of some sort.

I'm looking at these as well. Much cheaper than comparable new Corny kegs.

I think the 2.5/2.6 measurement issue is this: if you fill it with 2.6 gallons there would be no headspace from which to carbonate the beer. So fill with 2.5 and it should be fine.

I'll weight the keg empty and fill it to the bottom of the gas tube and do the math to figure out the usable volume. Maybe this weekend. I haven't actually used mine yet but I've got 2.5G of an IPA in a fermenter I'm hoping to put in there soon.

Turns out the advertised-as-2.5, marked-as-2.6 gallon Torpedo keg is really 2.7 gallons. I filled it from empty to just kissing the bottom of the gas in tube. It took 22lbs, 8.5 ounces of water at around 82F. If I did the math right, that's just about 2.7 gallons.

Just got one of these as a gift today. Pretty sweet! My only concerns are that the dip tube doesn't go into the outer channel, but touches the dome, so it doesn't seem like it would collect as much as my others.

Also, it looks like when they put it together, they put the liquid dip tube into the gas side originally, as there are scuff marks on the bottom on that side.

Neither of these are really too concerning, though. I look forward to breaking it in!

I have some that are setup very similar, and it isnt a major problem. You lose like 4-6oz, most of which is yeast/sediment that settles out anyways.

I have some that are setup very similar, and it isnt a major problem. You lose like 4-6oz, most of which is yeast/sediment that settles out anyways.

That's kind of what I figured. Glad I'm not the only one. Thanks!

I just ordered the 1.5 and 5.0. We'll see. I like the form factor (shouldn't matter, I know, but it still does).

I'll have the ability to keg 1-gallon trial recipes, and good ones that go 5.0. It's a little weird--I'm still waiting for my first batch to finish conditioning in the bottles. It's been 8 days and there's some carbonation, but not enough yet. And I already am assuming I'll be kegging.

Guess I will be.

I just ordered the 1.5 and 5.0. We'll see. I like the form factor (shouldn't matter, I know, but it still does).

I'll have the ability to keg 1-gallon trial recipes, and good ones that go 5.0. It's a little weird--I'm still waiting for my first batch to finish conditioning in the bottles. It's been 8 days and there's some carbonation, but not enough yet. And I already am assuming I'll be kegging.

Guess I will be.

Can you see how much beer the 1.5 kegs really hold? Seems I've read on this thread the 2.5 holds a little more than 2.5 gallons.

I'm not expecting another half gallon of beer below the gas tube, but seems the torpedo keg volume sizes are a bit on the conservative side.

Can you see how much beer the 1.5 kegs really hold? Seems I've read on this thread the 2.5 holds a little more than 2.5 gallons.

I'm not expecting another half gallon of beer below the gas tube, but seems the torpedo keg volume sizes are a bit on the conservative side.

I will assess that--but I'm still waiting for them to be shipped. I placed the order early Monday morning and I'm still waiting for a ship confirmation.

<Checked w/ MoreBeer> There was a snafu with the order--since all the items weren't in stock the computer was holding it. That's supposed to be something they notify me about, but it didn't happen. I called and they're now on their way. Probably won't get them until Monday or Tuesday.

They are, a bit. I was easily able to get 1.5 gallons of water in the keg and there still was a wide headspace; however, the liquid level is just below the CO2 inlet tube, so there's not a lot of extra space, unless you want to submege that tube.

capacitytorpedokeg.jpg

I haven't even washed that keg out yet at this point, so yours is the first thing I've done with it. :)

I'm very interested in the 1 gallon and 2.5 gallon versions for some small batches. I have a pair of the other "stackable kegs" that are good. How solid do the torpedos feel when stacked?

I'm interested in the same thing. I have the capability for two gallon batches in my kitchen at home -- is there potential drawback other than maybe using a touch more CO2 to getting the bigger one and only filling it with a gallon?

I'm interested in the same thing. I have the capability for two gallon batches in my kitchen at home -- is there potential drawback other than maybe using a touch more CO2 to getting the bigger one and only filling it with a gallon?

If you're doing 2 gallon batches, I don't see the problem with using a 2.5 gallon keg for one gallon batches. If anything it's just an additional .75 gallons of head space. Should be no different if a 5 gallon batch comes up short for a 5 gallon keg.

I'd shoot for 2-2.5 gallons. It's all about more beer in the end. ;)

I would go with the 2.5 even for a 1 gallon batch, unless space is at a premium, for instance if you've got a small kegerator and want variety more than volume (nothing wrong with that). Its only 4 inches taller than the 1.5

I would go with the 2.5 even for a 1 gallon batch, unless space is at a premium, for instance if you've got a small kegerator and want variety more than volume (nothing wrong with that). Its only 4 inches taller than the 1.5

This is a good perspective. Thanks! It's what I was thinking, but it allows me to do both size batches.

If I am new to kegging (been brewing since 2009, and want to start kegging once I get back from Afghanistan), would these be a good place to start? I.e. I could buy a chest freezer that fits these, instead of trying to make something I already own work.. They seem like a good option for someone that hasn't bought anything yet.

You could get used kegs cheaper, but this is a great price for new kegs. If you buy used kegs, you will likely have different brands, colors, etc. If you get these, they will be uniform, dress right dress, all that good stuff. If I were starting out, I would get these. Thank you for your service!

If I am new to kegging (been brewing since 2009, and want to start kegging once I get back from Afghanistan), would these be a good place to start? I.e. I could buy a chest freezer that fits these, instead of trying to make something I already own work.. They seem like a good option for someone that hasn't bought anything yet.

They were for me--I just started kegging and bought the 1.5 and 5.0. So far, I'm happy with them. I'd read how used corny kegs would have bases or handles come loose, that the bases would mark up floors and counters, and decided that since the difference in price wasn't that much I might as well buy something new.

Interesting tidbit on these: I wanted the small 1.5 keg to either keep in the fridge or to use for small 1-gallon experimental batches. The 5.0 would be for full 5-gallon batches.

Northern sells a modular keg system that lets you use it as either a 1-gallon or a 5-gallon keg: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/kegging/mini-kegs/big-mouth-modular-keg-and-expansion

Normal price is $199. Even if you get it on a 20-percent off deal, it's still $160 plus shipping. And that for a system you can use as either a 1-gallon or a 5-gallon keg, but not both at the same time.

The torpedo kegs go for $74.99 for the 1.5 gallon and $89.99 for the 5 gallon, or $154.98 for both w/ economy free shipping--less than even the 20-percent off offering from Northern Brewer, *and* I have two kegs, not just a single convertible one.

Made sense to me. :)

Last edited:
Glad to find this thread. I also have been intrigued by these. I do AG batches but kept my original Mr. Beer keg (2.25G~) for small batches. The 2.5G keg would be perfect to just keg instead of bottling.

Or if I wanted to keg 1/2 a 5G batch and bottle the other half, this would work too. Its on the wish list.

For what its worth, I just received a 2.5G keg from AIH that I caught on sale, so I'll be able to do a comparison soon between the two. The AIH keg is definitely narrower and probably smaller capacity - it is labelled as 9.5L but I will verify actual capacity as I did with the mid-sized torpedo.

The only reason I didn't get a second Torpedo keg is that my mini-fridge is tight on space and I think I can squeeze both the torpedo and the AIH keg in the fridge (with some hacking) when I think the extra 3/4" width of the Torpedo might not work.

For what its worth, I just received a 2.5G keg from AIH that I caught on sale, so I'll be able to do a comparison soon between the two. The AIH keg is definitely narrower and probably smaller capacity - it is labelled as 9.5L but I will verify actual capacity as I did with the mid-sized torpedo.

The only reason I didn't get a second Torpedo keg is that my mini-fridge is tight on space and I think I can squeeze both the torpedo and the AIH keg in the fridge (with some hacking) when I think the extra 3/4" width of the Torpedo might not work.

Thanks. Been wondering about this. I like the AiH kegs for size reasons, but the Torpedos do look cool.

Thinking about these. I measured my kegerator and it looks like I could fit two of these side-by-side in there with about 1/4" to spare. I'd like to stack 2.5 gallon kegs in there to have 4 taps.

Then again, is may be cheaper to just buy a bigger kegerator from CL...

Thinking about these. I measured my kegerator and it looks like I could fit two of these side-by-side in there with about 1/4" to spare. I'd like to stack 2.5 gallon kegs in there to have 4 taps.

Then again, is may be cheaper to just buy a bigger kegerator from CL...

Sort of like what they say about buying a safe--always buy one size larger than what you think you need.

I've been using my Torpedo Kegs now for going on 4 months and they are great. Lighter when empty (and full) than a normal corny keg, easy to handle, and they dispense the beer just fine. When the most recent keg kicked I may have had a cup of beer left in the keg, maybe less.

Looking to get probably two more. Waitin' on a sale.... :)

Sort of like what they say about buying a safe--always buy one size larger than what you think you need.

I've been using my Torpedo Kegs now for going on 4 months and they are great. Lighter when empty (and full) than a normal corny keg, easy to handle, and they dispense the beer just fine.

This x100. These little things are great. I still use my cornys for full batches, but for my gallon testers and smaller batches of cider or experimental brews, these are legit, and they carb up fast as heck.

Latest posts

Back