Fruit Beer Requiem Raspberry - Page 19 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes > Fruit Beer Requiem Raspberry

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #181
Delaney
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 503
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts


I was thinking of doing 10 days in secondary with berries, and to rack for another 4 days to get rid of sediment.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #182
craig_reed
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Seattle, Washington
Posts: 218
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
I was thinking of doing 10 days in secondary with berries, and to rack for another 4 days to get rid of sediment.
Going to have it in a 3rd fermenter then? Interesting... I think it is just too much cleaning and sanitizing for me lol
__________________
It's Just Beer Afterall. Wait....Just Beer!?

Too lazy to update all of my beers all of the time!

Follow me @BestCraftBeer on Twitter and www.facebook.com/bestcraftbeer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #183
hagbardceline
Recipes 
 
May 2008
St. Paul, MN - Minnesota
Posts: 78

I'm going to rack onto the raspberries tonight. I have 40 oz of frozen berries. I was thinking of racking onto the frozen berries so any yeast/bac won't be able to grow on the berries before the alcohol and brewers yeast get them.

Is this a bad idea? Should I thaw first?

Also there will likely be star San foam in the carboy that the berries will hit. Any issue with that?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #184
ekjohns
Recipes 
 
May 2009
IL
Posts: 1,405
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts


how is everyone soaking in campdem tablets? Im a assuming in some water with crushed pills but how many tablets per lb?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #185
craig_reed
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
Seattle, Washington
Posts: 218
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Berries have turned white, and almost into a mush like state -

Still has another 9 days to sit in the secondary before I rack to bottles.
__________________
It's Just Beer Afterall. Wait....Just Beer!?

Too lazy to update all of my beers all of the time!

Follow me @BestCraftBeer on Twitter and www.facebook.com/bestcraftbeer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #186
Delaney
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 503
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by hagbardceline View Post
I'm going to rack onto the raspberries tonight. I have 40 oz of frozen berries. I was thinking of racking onto the frozen berries so any yeast/bac won't be able to grow on the berries before the alcohol and brewers yeast get them.

Is this a bad idea? Should I thaw first?

Also there will likely be star San foam in the carboy that the berries will hit. Any issue with that?
This will not get rid of wild yeast/bacteria...it might slow them down a bit at best.
There are two options:
1-steep berries in 170F water to kill off yeast/bacteria. This will result in a cloudy beer due to pectin. Pectic enzyme can be used to counter this problem, but option 2 is preferable.

2-Thaw berries. Crush 1 campden tablet/3-4 lbs of berries, and mix with 1/4 cup of boiling water. Pour over the berries (which should be in a sanitized container), swirl it around, and let this soak for 24 hours. Your berries will be sterilized at this point and can be added to the wort.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:06 AM   #187
GHC007
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Cleveland, OH
Posts: 59


Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
This will not get rid of wild yeast/bacteria...it might slow them down a bit at best.
There are two options:
1-steep berries in 170F water to kill off yeast/bacteria. This will result in a cloudy beer due to pectin. Pectic enzyme can be used to counter this problem, but option 2 is preferable.

2-Thaw berries. Crush 1 campden tablet/3-4 lbs of berries, and mix with 1/4 cup of boiling water. Pour over the berries (which should be in a sanitized container), swirl it around, and let this soak for 24 hours. Your berries will be sterilized at this point and can be added to the wort.
Not disagreeing with you, just giving my two cents...Ive brewed this recipe twice (and 3 other raspberry beers) and never had a problem throwing frozen organic raspberries directly into secondary.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:51 AM   #188
tribble222
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Oakland, California
Posts: 54


Quote:
Originally Posted by hagbardceline View Post
I'm going to rack onto the raspberries tonight. I have 40 oz of frozen berries. I was thinking of racking onto the frozen berries so any yeast/bac won't be able to grow on the berries before the alcohol and brewers yeast get them.

Is this a bad idea? Should I thaw first?

Also there will likely be star San foam in the carboy that the berries will hit. Any issue with that?
I thawed mine first before I put them in just because they were in a giant chunk and I couldn't fit it through the carboy mouth. Next time I'll probably use a plastic bucket and drop the whole frozen chunk in there to save the mess.

Also: don't fear the foam.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #189
Delaney
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 503
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by GHC007 View Post
Not disagreeing with you, just giving my two cents...Ive brewed this recipe twice (and 3 other raspberry beers) and never had a problem throwing frozen organic raspberries directly into secondary.
I'm basing my advice mostly upon that which I recieved here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/does...rilize-259085/

Obviously a few people had problems with bacteria or wild yeast.

Because I picked my raspberries fresh, and because there were small amounts of insects/straw/other debris, I decided the risk of contamination was high. Considering the many hours of picking, I decided to soak in campden and not be one of those people.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #190
hagbardceline
Recipes 
 
May 2008
St. Paul, MN - Minnesota
Posts: 78

Well, i decided to risk it. On Brew Strong Jamil says the alcohol content should be enough to over power the bac and yeast. Although proof in this tread shows that is not always the case, so we'll see what happens.

I was two points off on the FG i wanted which I'm happy enough with. Once the beer was racked on top of the berries there was a ton of activity in the airlock, mostly gases coming out I'm guessing.

So we'll see if I get burned by not sanitizing the berries. BTW what a pain in the ass getting those into the fermentor!

The taste of the beer before the berries, only 12 days after I pitched tasted amazing! I may make this again as a 14 day. One of the best brews I have tasted in a long while. It ended up pretty hoppy. The hops right now are a little stronger than normal:

1 oz Northern Brewer @ 9.4
1 oz Cascade @ 6.1 (at 25 and 7 min)

gave me an IBU of 55! which actually tastes really nice with this dark, malty beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Requiem for a hydrometer lelmore Equipment/Sanitation 3 02-09-2015 01:30 AM
Requiem Raspberry ale - Late DME addition help bigcountrybrew Recipes/Ingredients 1 12-30-2009 01:48 AM
Requiem Moonshae Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 1 03-18-2008 02:32 AM
Alien VS Predator Requiem talleymonster General Chit Chat 8 12-14-2007 11:29 AM
Requiem for a great batch cweston General Beer Discussion 7 08-11-2006 01:27 PM


Forum Jump