CLEANEST dry yeast that doesnt eat up hop flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
so i brew lagers, and some assorted sours here and there, but mainly lagers. which is why i am looking for advice on dry ale yeasts.

to make a long story short- i need to do some trials of new hops for flavor/aroma/strength/etc. there are over two dozen. way too much brewing to deal with them all individually. so to save time/hassle/labor and headache im doing SmaSh extract batches, no chill, with dry yeast, at room temp (ales).

what i want to ask is advice for-
--1-- the dry yeast strain with cleanest flavor profile (to let hop flavor dominate)
and
--2-- couple that with the characteristic of being a yeast that doesnt eat up too much hop flavor. (yeast strains can very by as much as 40-50% in how many ibus/hop flavors are left in beer after fermantation)

im guessing the "hop hungry yeast" issue is less important, as all samples will use the same yeast, same ferm temps, etc. so the cleanest flavor is likely the most relevant and important part.

thanks for your input

Another vote for US-05. Notty could work if you kept it in the low 60s during fermentation.

Start with US-05, as pretty much everyone else has said. But another really good option, if you can find it, is Mangrove Jack's M44 'US West Coast Ale'. Super clean, often compared to PacMan yeast. I've fermented a couple faux lagers at about 60-62 with it, and they were great! It's a little more attenuative than US-05, so adjust your temps/unfermentables accordingly.

S-05 is my go-to ale yeast when I'm looking for good attenuation without any distinctive yeast character.

I can't quite get Nottingham to low enough temps for a good clean fermentation, so I sometimes end up with some esters I don't care for.

I don't use US-05 too often, but ferm temp is still pretty important from my experience for final flavor. I would recommend a ferm (beer) temp between 65-70 for US-05. I've gone 62-64 and it has thrown some strange peachy flavors, but not in a good way. 65-70 ferm temp yields a much cleaner final product for me. (Note - I haven't gone any higher, so I can't comment for 70+ results). I only say this because you mentioned "room temperature" - so not sure what that is for you or what that will mean for the beer temp while fermenting. Good luck and have fun experimenting!

ok, so it seems like us 05 is the winner here. i'm in san francisco, so right now room temp is low 60s. i'll throw these guys into a ice chest and cover with towels, hopefully the yeast should warm themselves up to mid 60s.

thanks to all!

Back