Time in primary fermentation mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samuel84

Reaction score
Im starting a new barch of mead and i would like to know for how long should i let it ferment on primary.?

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

...Im doing the primary with airlock

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

I usually just leave it for a week and half to two weeks then rack to secondary. Be sure to shake the bucket in a stirring motion to aerate it for the first few days. Just be careful not make all the CO2 explode out of the airlock or blow the lid off the bucket.

Time is not how you measure when to rack to the secondary, the hydrometer tells you when its ready, not the calendar. WVMJ

Time is not how you measure when to rack to the secondary, the hydrometer tells you when its ready, not the calendar. WVMJ

Actually, it depends on the brewer.

my way of telling when to rack is by the layer of the sediment on the bottom and my own gut feelings as to how much is too much to have my brew sit on.

A hydrometer is going to tell you how close you are to finishing fermenting, but it tells you next to nothing about sedimentation or simply "how much dead stuff my brew is sitting on".

Calendars and regular racking periods are good for beginners because it helps get them in the process of checking their brews and "cleaning up" what's underneath.

As I said elsewhere, Mizers are a weird bunch. There's a dedicated group within them that like their meads to sit on the lees throughout the brewing process.

Right now, my mead is about 5 days old, and I got about 3/4 of an inch of sediment at the bottom of the jug, and waaaaaay more honey to be fermented. There's no way I'm leaving that much sediment at the bottom for 4-5 more weeks while it brews and produces more. (I am, however, refraining from racking immediately and disturbing my yeast a bit more than I prefer)

I'll probably rack later this week if I can't stand it, and sunday at the latest.

Racking off the yeast sediment to early is a good way to slow down the ferment, cidermakers do that to make a sweeter cider without killing off the yeast, hydro tells you when the yeasties are done the majority of their job and are ready to rack.

What is a Mizer, same thing as a Mazer? Those guys are nuts but have you ever tasted one of their meads, we have a meadery near us that metaled in the MC, super smooth drinking it. WVMJ

Racking off the yeast sediment to early is a good way to slow down the ferment, cidermakers do that to make a sweeter cider without killing off the yeast, hydro tells you when the yeasties are done the majority of their job and are ready to rack.

What is a Mizer, same thing as a Mazer? Those guys are nuts but have you ever tasted one of their meads, we have a meadery near us that metaled in the MC, super smooth drinking it. WVMJ

Mazer mizer, blah. The terminology will drive you nuts. :p

hahahahahaha..... "people who ferment stuff".

I do brew more with cider, so it may be a habit that I take along with me that is unnecessary.

I'm also honestly informal as hell about my brews and it reflects in my style. I don't keep the best of records, and often adapt things as my brews develop, and measuring my hydrometer is often secondary to what I can taste, smell, and see (reflects well my years working in a kitchen).

I treat my yeasts like I treat my plants and pets. (and gardening and pet care are two fields I tend to dabble in more often than not professionally as well).

I did mention my methods aren't for everyone, and in the realm of mead, apparently some adhere to leaving their brews on lees.

For me, it's a comfort thing to keep my lees cleared out regularly.

Back