Splitting batches between two fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMH_

Reaction score
Just ordered a new 15 gallon brew kettle (up from a 5)to brew full 10 gallon extract batches.
Myself and a buddy are splitting all our batches and planning on moving to 5 gallon kegs each.

I'm wondering. Instead of buying a new fermenter, anyone have any luck/experience/advice in using 2 brew buckets to ferment and splitting the batch right after the boil?

Thanks in advance.

I prefer it. Did it last night.

In general it is much easier to move around 50#'s than 100#'s. Fermentation chanber options are better, too.

I usually ferment 10 in one fermenter, and another 4-6 in another. I love it, because I usually use two different yeasts. I usually do a pacman in the 10g, and belgian in the smaller.

Should be no problem splitting it, just make sure it is completely mixed before.

yup like the previous poster said, mix well before splitting between fermenters.

I split my 5 gallon batches between two 3 gallon Better Bottles (out of business now). The bottles are square and fit in my fridge easily. I generally let the batch settle in a 6.5 gallon carboy, then transfer to the 3 gallon bottles. One will be completely clear by then, the other will get some trub. I then measure and split the yeast.

My current batch is a pilsner, and I put the 2 bottles in the fridge with the yeast starter flask and pitched the next day when they are all the same 45 degrees, then raised the temp a degree or two at a time up to 50, then d-rest after about a week. I get really clean tasting lagers this way.

I have been splitting my 10 gallon batches for years, I have two larger carboys that I use, they currently are holding an English Bitter (See below). Another benefit is that you could try two yeasts on the same batch.

20151122_124502.jpg

Yeah, I like to just brew up 10-11gal batches, cool, split between two bucket fermenters, and ferment with two different yeasts. The only thing about this is I have only one fermentation chamber and the STC-1000 controller can only control based on the temperature of one bucket or the other. I have my doubts this matters much if at all, considering the fact that the volume and starting temperature of each bucket are the same, but it might make OCD brewers queasy. I've certainly never traced any flavor problem back to using this method.

I too split 10 gal batches between two 5 gal fermenters. Works great and allows use of different dry hopping schedules as well as multiple yeasts simultaneously.

You can have some fun with it too - make 10 gallons of wheat beer and do five gallons with American wheat yeast and the other gets Hefeweizen yeast. Or do a simple Pilsner - ferment half with lager yeast and the other half with Trappist yeast for a Patersbier.
Possibilities are endless!

Just ordered a new 15 gallon brew kettle (up from a 5)to brew full 10 gallon extract batches.

OK, I am going to be the first to say it...

...you know you are only a bag and a good thermometer away from going all-grain BiaB at that point. Easy 8 gallon batches and slightly more challenging 10 gallon batches.

ok, i am going to be the first to say it...

...you know you are only a bag and a good thermometer away from going all-grain biab at that point. Easy 8 gallon batches and slightly more challenging 10 gallon batches.

x2.

Thanks. We will be splitting and fermenting with the same yeast.
Trying to split every batch 50-50 so we both learn more about what we make.

OK, I am going to be the first to say it...

...you know you are only a bag and a good thermometer away from going all-grain BiaB at that point. Easy 8 gallon batches and slightly more challenging 10 gallon batches.

Don't underestimate the weight of a 10 gallon batch of wet grains however. I stick with 5 gallons myself.

Don't underestimate the weight of a 10 gallon batch of wet grains however. I stick with 5 gallons myself.

Ratcheting pulley. I can lift the small beers (15-18# of grain) but do not even try with anything bigger. so I guess that adds an third purchase of about $9.

What I do is use a barbed T and split the tubes into each fermenter. Make sure they are the same height and make sure there is and even siphon and you will get the same amount in each. This takes away the need to make sure it is mixed well. You need to make sure that your kettle valve is at least 3 feet off the ground to make sure to get a good siphon going. If you don't have a valve, I'm sure putting a t on the siphon would work.

Two standard brew buckets. Whatever exact technical size they may be.

There are many different size "standard brew buckets". If what OP means is two fermenters capable of doing a 5 gal batch each, then size is not just a "technicality". When considering headspace for kraussen, blow-off, etc., you need something like a 6.5 gal bucket for a 5 gal batch

Myself and a buddy are splitting all our batches and planning on moving to 5 gallon kegs each.

I'm wondering. Instead of buying a new fermenter, anyone have any luck/experience/advice in using 2 brew buckets to ferment and splitting the batch right after the boil?

Thanks in advance.

I don't use brew buckets but I do 6 gal AG and always split into two 5/6 gal Better Bottles. Frequently I try two different yeasts to compare the outcomes.
I secondary & dry hop in 3 gal BB's.

Oh yeah that's s.o.p for me, most of the time I try two strains of yeast too. We have demijohns but after picking up full ones too much I realized that splitting batches will help save my back. They are sooo heavy...f that...

I plan to do this myself with a 7G batch. I am using the same yeast but want to "dry hop" one with Yuzu and the other with bergomot. Should I mix, pitch, mix and split or pitch after splitting?

I do 10 or 15 gallon batches in my 20G Blichmann. All of my ferms are 6G PET bottles.

I have a cross piece (4-way Tee) that i attach to my plate chiller when it's time to send to ferms. It has 3 hose barbs with hoses (looks like a 3-legged octopus). I fill all 3 ferms simultaneously to ensure homogeneity. It does require some pinching of hoses to keep them filling equal though. Haven't come across a better solution.

Latest posts

Back