Cock-up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joerennard

Reaction score
Hi there,

This is my first attempt at making cider, and In classic me style I've jumped into it without researching as much as I should.

So I fermented my 10 litres of cider for just over 2 weeks. Everything this far was successful.

I tried the cider and found it far to acidic and sour.
Now ignoring the advice I added 7 tablespoons per 2litres of cider.

Almost instantly I realised the repercussions of my mistake.
I've currently got the cider in multiple 2L soda bottles (lids loosely on to allow gas to escape).

This is were i need help, what can I do to rescue my batch?
Am i best leaving it to ferment again, and then once it's calmed down, rebottle it?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cider bottled after 2 weeks of ferment will likely result in bottle bombs. Any cider I have made takes a lot longer to ferment. Granted I don't make a lot but two weeks, it's nowhere near done, it's cloudy as hell from all the ongoing fermentation. 6 weeks+ is nore what I see.

I'm guessing 7 tbsp of sugar was what you added to each bottle.

I suggest removing the caps carefully while wearing eye protection and a heavy coat. I'd do it outside.

The cider goes down the drain.

Other option is let it sit as is. Place the bottles in a box in a plastic box with a lid. Open as needed wearing appropriate protective gear.

I think you should wait 2 more weeks, ignore the same advice, and add another 7 tablespoons. :)

Back