Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > First Time Kegging Question

Old 02-23-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
kdsarch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Time Kegging Question

Okay, so I am taking the plunge into kegging. My keg system is on it's way, and I am brewing a nice amber beer this weekend.

Kegging the beer appears easy enough. I just have one question. Are there any special procedures to perform to get clear beer?

Do i rack right from the secondary into the keg? I was thinking about racking from the secondary into another carboy. And then putting that in the fridge for a few days to have most of the particles drop to the bottom. Then I would rack the final beer into the keg.

Does this sound like too much work?

Just wondering.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Racking from a secondary should be enough. I just started kegging and my first 2 kegs are very clear even without a secondary. You will still need to age it for the best experience. Kegging is good.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You could certainly cold crash it if you wanted to to make it even clearer. I just go to keg right from secondary and I'm pretty happy with the clarity of my beers. Of course secondary for me is usually 3-5 weeks depending on when a tap becomes available, but even if you have you beer in secondary for 2 weeks that's plenty of time.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:39 PM   #4
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
Racking from a secondary should be enough. I just started kegging and my first 2 kegs are very clear even without a secondary. You will still need to age it for the best experience. Kegging is good.
+1. I racked straight from the primary and have racked from the secondary. Both came out great, but you still need the time for aging..

Old 02-24-2008, 01:49 AM   #5
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I add gelatin and then cold crash for 5-7 days in the primary. Crystal clear beer goes into the keg.

GT