Should I transfer the the hop material from the kettle to fermenter or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finlandbrews

Reaction score
I just made a batch and had quite a big volume of hops put in there so I had lots of hop material especially in the bottom and I was wondering should I avoid to put the hop material in the fermenter? Is It good for the taste and yeast?

I strain mine because I'm trying to get 1.8 gallons in a 2 gallon bucket and need the head space. But if you have the room no problem transferring everything.,

I dump the trub into the fermenter and let the yeast sort it out. In my experience (60+ non-strained batches), I've not run into a problem with a finished product (no grassy taste, etc.).

On the plus side it makes me feel better that the hops are a preservative and keep bad microbes at bay - perhaps that is wishful thinking, but it makes me feel better.

And the clincher, as already mentioned, is it is a time saver and we all need some time savings while brewing.

Last edited:
I strain mine but only to save space in my bucket as I have moved to 5.5 gallon batches. I read the same study on trub posted above and would not worry about dumping it all in if you have the space.

If it's not a hoppy beer, I dump everything in. If it's got a lot of hops, I use a hop spider during the boil.

I used to use a screened funnel for transferring to the fermenter. That got old quick.

If it's not a hoppy beer, I dump everything in. If it's got a lot of hops, I use a hop spider during the boil.

I used to use a screened funnel for transferring to the fermenter. That got old quick.

This is me as well. I don't both unless there's a lot of hops. However, I don't bother with the hop spider, but rather kind of whirlpool, leave whatever I can behind, and then strain the rest though the obnoxious screened funnel.

A couple times (on the rare occasion I do something extremely highly hopped with whole hops), I've boiled a paint strainer bag in water, put that in the fermenter, and strained through that. Did that once in a beer that was 8 oz of pellets and 1 lb of wet hops in the boil. Kept the hop volume loss to a minumum. However, I'm wary to do that regularly.

I bag my hops in a 5 gallon paint strainer bag clipped to the lip of my kettle. I want as much beer as I can get from a 5 gallon batch. By bagging the hops my usual trub layer in the fermenter is less than 1/2 thick. So with just over 5 gallons going in I get a full 5 gallons coming out. And I don't have to worry too much about sucking up trub when siphoning the beer out of the fermenter.

But in your case, dump it all in and give the trub time to compact.

This is me as well. I don't both unless there's a lot of hops. However, I don't bother with the hop spider, but rather kind of whirlpool, leave whatever I can behind, and then strain the rest though the obnoxious screened funnel.

A couple times (on the rare occasion I do something extremely highly hopped with whole hops), I've boiled a paint strainer bag in water, put that in the fermenter, and strained through that. Did that once in a beer that was 8 oz of pellets and 1 lb of wet hops in the boil. Kept the hop volume loss to a minumum. However, I'm wary to do that regularly.

I never could get my whirlpool mojo working, so I gave into the hop spider. I got the biggest diameter I could use within my kettle. Now as the wort is draining, I have the spider sitting a bit diagonal on top of the kettle to drain the wort out of it. I stir the hop sludge with my spoon to drain it faster. Usually the kettle is still draining into the fermenter when I finish draining the spider.

For brews like stouts and browns, I don't even use the spider as it's one less thing to clean.

Back