Saflager W-34/70 Required Headspace

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specharka

Reaction score
Looking to brew a doppelbock tomorrow (targeted O.G. 1.088) and I was wondering how much head space was necessary to ferment and lager using Saflager W-34/70. I am planning on fermenting a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy (leaving 1-2" of headspace), and wondering whether this was sufficient for my selected lager yeast. FWIW I am targeting a pitch rate of 1.5 M cells/mL-P and a fermentation temperature of 48F.

I have no problem using a blowoff tube to control the krausen, but I obviously don't want a beeruption on my hands.

That should be enough. I get a very neat krausen with that yeast (and really all lager yeasts). Chill your batch down first, then add the yeast, even if it means you have to put the carboys in the fridge for a while / overnight.

It's going to ferment very slow at 48 - at least 3 weeks, maybe a bit more. I ferment between 50 and 52 (my controller allows this range) and it's a full 3 weeks for me to get down to FG.

[edit: though, I don't make 1.088 lagers! Not sure how the fermentation might proceed with that much fermentable sugar in there, but I suspect that 1-2" will be enough. Make sure to post here and let us know how it turned out]

1-2" of headspace in any carboy-shaped vessel is no where near enough. You're just asking for trouble.

1-2" of headspace in any carboy-shaped vessel is no where near enough. You're just asking for trouble.

Oh come on, what's the worst that could happen :)

img_9759-65167.jpg

I agree it's asking for trouble to have this little head space........as a rule. 34/70 fermented at the proper temp range has very little krausen, and will probably work. I definitely wouldn't do this with ANY ale yeast though. There really is no reason not to scale a recipe back to fit your fermenter, particularly with the software tools we have today.

H.W.

I agree it's asking for trouble to have this little head space........as a rule. 34/70 fermented at the proper temp range has very little krausen, and will probably work. I definitely wouldn't do this with ANY ale yeast though. There really is no reason not to scale a recipe back to fit your fermenter, particularly with the software tools we have today.

H.W.

But I already bought the ingredients! :smack:

On top of the limited head space I am fairly certain my LHBS gave me about 2.5 lb extra malt...which is really generous of them but screws up my existing calculations.

But I already bought the ingredients! :smack:

On top of the limited head space I am fairly certain my LHBS gave me about 2.5 lb extra malt...which is really generous of them but screws up my existing calculations.

Just put part of the wort in a growler. Put it all in the carboy initially, and pitch your yeast, then after it get's started fermenting, if you are concerned, use your auto siphon to transfer some into a growler. It's pretty easy to put a bubbler on a growler or a gallon jug.

H.W.

Blowoff tube is cheap anti-mess insurance.

Fermenting 5g in a 5g carboy with no tube is asking for trouble, even with a lager. I am also glad to see you treating this properly with a cool pitch. I would have recommended well over 1.5 million cells per ml per degree Plato though.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back