Flat beer, probably from undissolved priming sugar. Add more?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrozi_75

Reaction score
I did a 5 gallon extract IPA, I know my priming sugar didn't dissolve properly before I bottled. I am using all Grolsch swing tops, should I pop them open and add a little sugar to each one? Any other suggestions to saving the batch?

Edit: Sat in fermenter for a little over 2 weeks, bottles have been sitting for over a month. Room temperature but in a cool closet.

Can't hurt. You're probably better off boiling a sugar solution and adding a measured amount using a sanitized syringe or eyedropper. (Even though it's not carbed, there is CO2 in solution. Adding granulated sugar might give you a Mentos/Diet Coke thing.)

Be careful though - if some bottles are flat, others may be way overcarbed. Might want to open the bottles in the sink with a towel over them just in case.

If they are in Grolsch style bottles I'd pull them all and check the carb level. If you have some that aren't carbed, you've probably got some bombs developing. If none of them are carbed you have a different problem. Are you SURE it was sugar you added?

How cool is that closet. If it's below even 65F I'd move them somewhere warmer before I'd just add sugar.

All the Best,
D. White

If they are in Grolsch style bottles I'd pull them all and check the carb level. If you have some that aren't carbed, you've probably got some bombs developing. If none of them are carbed you have a different problem. Are you SURE it was sugar you added?

How cool is that closet. If it's below even 65F I'd move them somewhere warmer before I'd just add sugar.

All the Best,
D. White

I used the pre measured priming sugar that came with the kit I bought from a reputable store. I'd say the closet was above 65 for the majority of the process. I forgot to take a hydrometer reading but I know I got some really good action out of the fermenter for quite a while. Whats the best way to check the carb level? Pour a bit and see if it foams?

Blindly adding sugar is the last thing is do. The sugar isn't "undissolved". Its just not fermented yet. Or,you didn't add enough to carb to volume. You use a priming calculator?

Back