Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Still having issues with volume
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2008, 01:28 AM   #21
senorfartman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 106
Default

I mean it seems to flow pretty well. I use a 3/8" tube that I cut notches into and have that placed inside of 2 SS mesh bags. I haven't really seen any signs of a stuck sparge but I can't really think of anything else that it'd be.


__________________
Fermenter 1:
Fermenter 2:

Bottled: Irish Red
Bottled: Le Stout
Bottled: Edwort's Pale Ale
Bottled: Dark Chocolate Porter
senorfartman is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #22
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FSR402's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jenison, MI
Posts: 2,885
Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorfartman
I mean it seems to flow pretty well. I use a 3/8" tube that I cut notches into and have that placed inside of 2 SS mesh bags. I haven't really seen any signs of a stuck sparge but I can't really think of anything else that it'd be.
You should have been able to see that it got stuck being that there was about 3 gallons still in there.
You really need to wright down and pay attention to what goes in and what comes out. Know what your preboil "should" be and what it really is.
The only way you're going to figure this out is to brew again and watch it very closly.


__________________
TWO FISTED BREWING CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear
FSR402 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:44 PM   #23
senorfartman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 106
Default

Wait I think I've figure out what I've been doing wrong and it's so simple.

When I read batch size in the promash recipes, I took that as for what's going into the fermenter i.e. 10 gallon batch size meant 10 gallons of wort in the fermenter.

Unless this theory is wrong also, technically what I was doing was correct. When I halved the batch size to 5, I was getting 5 gallons of wort but I boiled off 1.5 gallons of it which would explain my low volume.

Am I correct on this? Apparently I'm still at the noob stage
__________________
Fermenter 1:
Fermenter 2:

Bottled: Irish Red
Bottled: Le Stout
Bottled: Edwort's Pale Ale
Bottled: Dark Chocolate Porter
senorfartman is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:32 PM   #24
blacklab
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
blacklab's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Portland, ME
Posts: 2,395
Liked 39 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

didn't see you mention your pre boil volume. that would tell you where it's going. if you have 9 galls pre boil and 3 after, then you're boiling it off. If you start with 5 galls and end up with 3, somethings funny with the MLT setup. Is there water left in the MLT after you sparge? Mine has almost no liquid in it after I finish sparging.
blacklab is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:37 PM   #25
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FSR402's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jenison, MI
Posts: 2,885
Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorfartman
Wait I think I've figure out what I've been doing wrong and it's so simple.

When I read batch size in the promash recipes, I took that as for what's going into the fermenter i.e. 10 gallon batch size meant 10 gallons of wort in the fermenter.

Unless this theory is wrong also, technically what I was doing was correct. When I halved the batch size to 5, I was getting 5 gallons of wort but I boiled off 1.5 gallons of it which would explain my low volume.

Am I correct on this? Apparently I'm still at the noob stage
No batch size is what goes into the fermenter.

Ok here is what you have done.
You used 10.75 ponds of grain, mashed with 3.5 gal, sparged with 6 gal for a total of 9.5 gal used. Going with the absorption rate of .1 gal per pound you will lose just over 1 gal to the grain. This (if the tun drains 100%) gives you 8.5 gal into the kettle.
Depending on what size the kettle is this should have been easy to see if you were even close to that or not.
You are missing something somewhere and until you figure it out we can't help you.
It comes down to "know your equipment and system". Even if this was your first brew you ever did you should know what you are putting in and what you are getting out.

So, the way I see it is.
1. you had a stuck sparge.
2 you messed up your count thus you did not use 9.5 gal
3. you have one hell of a burner and are getting like 60% boil-off rate (very unlikely)

Those are the only things I can think of that it could be. Either one or a combo of all three.


I repeat... "know your equipment and system".

Figure out and mark the kettle for gallons.


__________________
TWO FISTED BREWING CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

FSR402 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IPA and Co2 Volume Reverend JC Bottling/Kegging 4 07-31-2009 05:04 PM
Help! Include LME volume in boil volume? bitteral Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 05-31-2009 06:30 PM
10 gal issues ErikN General Techniques 4 03-07-2008 06:07 PM
Help with keg issues OblivionsGate Bottling/Kegging 5 12-30-2007 03:19 PM
PVC issues? Reverend JC Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks 3 10-23-2006 02:39 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS