Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Has anyone noticed certain yeast strains to cause excess or extra stinky gas?

Old 02-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
Donasay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Has anyone noticed certain yeast strains to cause excess or extra stinky gas?

So I pulled an old Wit bottle out of my basement and drank it last night, according to the recipe I used Wyeast 3944, and last night and all this morning I have been farting up a storm. I let one rip so loudly last night while sleeping that I woke myself up and scared the dog enough that he decided to go sleep on the couch.

Now my digestive system is used to the Nottingham and safale 05 that are in my usual every day homebrews, but for some reason introducing this new yeast to my system is having disastrous effects. I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience with certain homebrew yeasts, and what strains seem to be particularly bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 02-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have never had that kind of problem, although you probably should branch out a little as far as yeast.

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Old 02-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If the yeast is really active so will your system be...

Old 02-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #4
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

lol...I had this "effect" with my first 2 batches..attributed it to the fact that I just drink too much beer..but this does make sense. I found the longer the bottles primed, the less of a problem it was

Old 02-22-2008, 07:33 PM   #5
mrkristofo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I dunno if it was the yeast or the ingredients, but I can't drink more than one of my Dankelweissens without my belly aching. I used Bavarian Wheat yeast with that one, but the carbonation is a bit on the high side so that might be it too. I dunno.
Conditioning: Dead Guy Ale clone, Double-Dubbel
Drinking: Not for a while

Old 02-22-2008, 07:35 PM   #6
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

For me it is not the age, the wit has been aging in the bottle for a few months, I think it has something to do with the actual strain of yeast.

And with regards to branching out, yes I probably should but my Nottingham is on generation 4 and my safale 05 is on generation 2. I had to dump my lager yeast and replaced it with safale, seeing as how I paid for it I may as well use it a few times right? This is why my system is used to these yeasts. As soon as I switch up yeasts the process starts again and I eventually get used to the new yeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/