Cold crashed too soon.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltMonkey

Reaction score
I misread my recipe and racked my beer to secondary at FG of 1.017 instead of 1.014. Secondary is cold crashing at 40° for 1 week. After this I was going to pull it out of the fridge and let it warm up to room temp over a couple days to wake the yeast up before bottling....do you think I should leave it for a week or so at room temp and see if it ferments out any more?

yes, although it may be finished anyway. specific gravity is not a sure thing for any beer (especially if it's an extract kit.) you should never rack to secondary until your beer is finished (i.e. has reached its near predicted FG and stays put for several days)

No beer has ever suffered by sitting in primary a couple extra days (or weeks) just to ensure the gravity had stopped falling.

Yeah, I should have left it alone for a bit longer. It was my AG conversion of a PM I did a month earlier....exact same yeast, same fermenting temps, etc., the airlock was done, and I let it go 4 days longer than the PM took so I already had it in my head that it was done fermenting...Now that I think about it more it might have actually been done since I mashed at 158°.

Back