Black Friday. How I hate thee....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyOldGit

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I get paid every two weeks and so one Friday is 'yay! let's drop some coin on equipment, ingredients, etc.' and the other is 'urgh! can we get to next Friday without hitting an alert'.

This Friday is an urgh! Friday... so currently I'm trying to avoid every 'get your hops at the lowest price ever' or 'Blingmann reduced to mortal prices' email out there.

Maybe next year....

I know the feeling. I went from a paycheck every 2 weeks to a Social security check once a month last year. I learned to put away a few buck from every check so I can still get some good deals. Just bought a 14 gallon, 304 stainless kettle, welded, with thermometer and SS ball valve today. I passed on the hops deals; have my allotted freezer space filled already.

I learned to put away a few buck from every check so I can still get some good deals.

Sorry to hear about the shift to the Social, but sounds like you've got it under control.

I've squirrelled a little something aside so may be able to pick up an upright freezer off Craigslist this weekend to morph into a fermentation chamber :)

There will always be another "lowest price ever..."

Don't believe the hype.

(Says the guy who bought a bunch of '14 Amarillo today since I'm scared '15 is gonna be tough to find. :eek:)

Sorry to hear about the shift to the Social, but sounds like you've got it under control.

I've squirrelled a little something aside so may be able to pick up an upright freezer off Craigslist this weekend to morph into a fermentation chamber :)

No problem with the SS. I retired, so after 40+ years of work, it's welcome :)

I worked off this morning, came straight home and went to bed. Had two hot dogs for supper and watching The Magnificent Seven on TV. I'm too broke to piss and could skip to January 1st and never miss a beat. The house I've been leasing is being sold very soon and so I'll have a move in the next few weeks before Christmas so I'm not decorating anything this year. No Christmas shopping here.

Gotta love being broke. But I have my health and when I complained the other day how wore out my boots was, I met a man with no feet. I guess I got it pretty good afterall.

I scour the internet for plans on building my dream brew stand, but in reality, I'll probably never get more than what I have now. At the end of the day, the beer I brew is drinkable, the power is on and there is a roof over my head. So with that, it's back to watching this western and surfing brew stands.

KT

Two big deals I saw locally were AHA membership for $35, a growler filler for $10 using per lick taps and a 5L flask for $30. Oh and beer smith 2.2 for $17.

I get paid every two weeks and so one Friday is 'yay! let's drop some coin on equipment, ingredients, etc.' and the other is 'urgh! can we get to next Friday without hitting an alert'.

This Friday is an urgh! Friday... so currently I'm trying to avoid every 'get your hops at the lowest price ever' or 'Blingmann reduced to mortal prices' email out there.

Maybe next year....

Wait... there are good black friday deals out there? Please post them here. I've looked, but haven't seen crap. The only thing I saw was 2014 hops at a slightly reduced price which was nothing to get excited over.

There will always be another "lowest price ever..."

My LHBS keeps putting items "on sale," for a few bucks cheaper than their retail price. Post sale, the jack up the cost by 20-25 bucks.

Not bitching, just observing. =)

I never do any Black Friday or Cyber Monday shopping. However, since I'm looking to move over to Ss Brewtech's stainless Brewmaster Buckets, and bought one recently to test out, I was for the first time interested to see if they were going to run any price drops. I would've ordered the other two I'm planning to get but the price stayed at $225. Only good for them though cause they will eventually get my money anyhow, will just be after the beer in my current one is done and I'm drinking it before I greenlight getting the other two.

Rev.

At the end of the day, the beer I brew is drinkable, the power is on and there is a roof over my head. So with that, it's back to watching this western and surfing brew stands.
KT

Yep, I've been mentally trying to design a bare-bones electric BIAB but for the foreseeable I'll be just brewing extract on the stovetop. Still, like you say, as long as the brew is drinkable all is good (especially now that I've found SWMBO has a taste for Belgian ales...)

I hate how Black Friday is always before retiree payday. And cyber Monday happened to be the last day of November. FU very much! I really wanted to get the $69.99 game cleaning table with the sink & quick hose connector for the brewery that was on sale for $49.99. Then I could take the bottling table to have more room for the computer, printer, tower, etc. That way, I'd have enough desktop space to get the computer level & to my right, Printer level & to my left rather than above the shoulder & turned sideways. How about Black Friday week & Cyber week instead? That'd help retiree's like me...

Back