US05 or Nottingham ale yest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
I'm making austin homebrew special holiday ale today. I had most of the ingredients on hand so I didn't order the kit. When I bought the kit it came with White Labs East Coast ale yeast. I currently have a pale ale fermenting in my chest freezer at 65° using us 05. I'm thinking I should use the US 05 in the holiday ale so that I can keep my fermentation temperatures close together. I'm curious what other people would recommend I use?

I'm making austin homebrew special holiday ale today. I had most of the ingredients on hand so I didn't order the kit. When I bought the kit it came with White Labs East Coast ale yeast. I currently have a pale ale fermenting in my chest freezer at 65° using us 05. I'm thinking I should use the US 05 in the holiday ale so that I can keep my fermentation temperatures close together. I'm curious what other people would recommend I use?

Either should be fine. Notty can handle lower temperatures but may attenuate a little lower than the 05, but either will be fine @65*.

Personally I really like the little bit of peachy esters US-05 puts out.

I've found notty to be a great clean yeast for PA's and IPA's. Not a huge fan of the little bit of peach. Plus I had a bad experience with a bad batch of us-05 once

05 is fine at 65.

Especially if that is the ambient temp of your chest freezer.

I like 05 over notty.

Count me in as a Notty fan! I like the high attenuation and flocculation you get with it (especially if you bottle). Tastes neutral and clean too.

If 65 is ambient then notty will climb higher then I like, it stays clean and clears better then 05 if kept at or a little below 64 for the first 3-4 days then go to 68 to finish.

Back