What did I just make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triforce

Reaction score
So what I thought was a foolproof recipe turned into something I'm not sure how to classify. Here are the details

3 lbs 50/50 wheat light LME
3 lbs light LME (though due to age, was quite dark)
1 lb flaked wheat (steeped 30 min @ 150)
1 lb wheat malt (steeped 30 min @ 150)

1 oz Styrian Golding (4.5 AA%) @ 60 min
1 oz Saaz (3.8 AA%) @ 15 min
1 oz dry orange peel @ 15 min

Safbrew WB-06 dry wheat beer yeast

So what should have been a typical belgian wit is now quite dark. Could I call this a weizenbock? Or would you call it something else? This is my first experience with wheat so any advice would be helpful!

If it tastes good, call it beer and drink up.
If not, call it a learning experience.
If your not brewing for a competition I wouldn't worry about style guidlines.
It sounds like a Wit. How long did you boil. If it was a longer boil You could add some of your extract later in the boil to avoid darkening.

I haven't used that strain, but it's allegedly a Weizen strain, NOT a Wit strain. They are very different profiles. If it's darker than a Hefeweizen, but not as strong as a Weizenbock, you're likely closer to a Dunkelweizen. However, there's more difference between a Hefeweizen and Dunkelweizen than just the color.

Thanks for the input!

It's not for competition, but I like to classify my beer and follow styles as closely as I can with the resources I have at my disposal.

It was supposed to be a Belgian wit, but the only wheat ale strain my LHBS had was the one mentioned so I made due. Another few days in primary and I'll have a better idea of how it turned out.

Thanks folks!

yep, that's a hefeweizen yeast, similar to danstar's Munich wheat yeast.
with the orange zest I'd probably call it a specialty beer if the orange is noticeable at all.
also, with malted & flaked wheat what you did was actually a partial mash. 60 minutes @ 150-155 would have been better but I've heard of folks getting conversion with 30 minute mashes so congratulations.

I'd just call it a hefeweizen, the only reason it's dark is because of the extract, should taste like a hefe and that's more important than the color.

also, with malted & flaked wheat what you did was actually a partial mash. 60 minutes @ 150-155 would have been better but I've heard of folks getting conversion with 30 minute mashes so congratulations.

I hope I got some conversion but I'm sure it wasn't complete. The steep was more to pull colours and flavours out of the grains than fermentables. I had plenty of those in the LME I used.

Thanks for the input!

That's the plan I think. Next time I try to brew a wit, I'll either go all grain or light DME. LME seems to be pretty dark, even when it's "extra light"

In order to,make a wit, you need a Belgian wit Yeast. Not a German hefe Yeast. Most,of,the flavor comes from,the Yeast. Also,traditionally, wits have much more,flaked wheat

That's the plan I think. Next time I try to brew a wit, I'll either go all grain or light DME. LME seems to be pretty dark, even when it's "extra light"

There's a few ways to avoid that- a) make sure your LME is fresh. LME darkens quickly with age. and b) always add LME as a late addition, not at the beginning of the boil. Add it with maybe 15-20 mins left instead of boiling it the whole time. DME is fine to boil longer.

But yes, if you want a Belgian Wit you absolutely have to use the right yeast. A German Weizen yeast will NOT have the right profile. Any Belgian strain will be better, but a good Witbier strain is pretty unique and you need to go that way. I don't know of a dry option off the top of my head (although there may be one). I like Wyeast's 3463 Forbidden Fruit.

Back