"Everything but the kitchen sink" Nut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpops

Reaction score
hey guys,

i'm at a point where i've brewed about 20+ batches and i have odds and ends of random grains stashed in the fridge, to the point i think i can make a brew decent enough without buying any ingredients.

OG 1.052
IBU 24
SRM 20

7lb 2 row
12oz c60
12oz special roast
8oz victory
8oz vienna
7oz c80
4oz chocolate
4oz flaked barley
3oz carafoam
1.5oz c40

.5oz magnum (60min)
.5oz northern brewer (5min)

yeast WLP001

i also have some melanoidin which i do see in some nut brown ale's? i'm seeing mixed opinions as to how it's comparable to victory (which could work) vs aromatic (not work as well).

I'm just looking for anything that stands out that might make it bad/better? i know based on the ingredients it's kind of a mix between an english and an american brown ale, but i'm ok with that...providing it turns out decent! i'm not trying to make an amazing beer, just a beer with what i have left over.

what do you think of the idea?

thanks!!

That might be a little much on the caramel/crystal type malts (27oz between the C60, C80, and Victory, and technically the Carafiam counts too, which would make it all of 30oz in your recipe.) Personally, I'd reduce those down to 16-20oz total, but that's just me.

It looks like a light brown ale. It'll be intersting for sure. I would just go for it. How much melanoidin do you got?

I would just mash low so that those beta amylase enzymes work on all those specialty malts, to make sure it doesn't end up super sweet. Other than that, it should be a fun experiment, and I hope you give some results in a few weeks!

Brewimg this today! About to start boil. So far smells and tastes delicious!

Back