Tattoos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helgibelgi

Reaction score
I'm considering getting a tattoo and want it to be brewing related. It's really hard to decide what to get and where to put it.
Have any of you done it?
Care to post pictures?

Z, you're gonna break kindergarten. hahaha!! there's gonna be kittens everywhere.

I don't have a brewing tat yet, but I do have a caffeine & nicotine tat on my head.

Vacation '09 006.jpg

I'd get a Russian Imperial Stout recipe with fermentation and tasting notes tattooed on my forearm if I were you.
Of course, this will require your doing multiple recipes and tweaking it to perfection, because who wants a subpar recipe tattooed on their forearm?
Please share your arm in the recipe database, RIS brew season will be upon us soon.

image.jpg

Personally I find tattoos revolting! I suggest a temporary washable tattoo.............. Guess I'm old fashioned! No piercings, no tattoos. They look cool today, but have you ever seen what they look like when you are 70+?

Get a tee shirt printed, a coffee cup, a hat, a bumper sticker

The cost of tattoo removal is huge compared to the cost of a tattoo........ Do you want a homebrew tattoo when you have been through AA, and numerous other treatment programs, and have decided to join the WCTU campaigning against the evils of alcohol?

We all go through phases in our lives. Today you and I are home brewers, 20 years down the road I may be "pushing up daisies", with only a white metal cross by the roadside in Montana to commemorate my passing, and you may be a deacon in the local LDS, magic underwear and all, having "taken the cure". All I can say is DON'T DO IT!!

H.W.

Personally I find tattoos revolting! I suggest a temporary washable tattoo.............. Guess I'm old fashioned! No piercings, no tattoos. They look cool today, but have you ever seen what they look like when you are 70+?

The cost of tattoo removal is huge compared to the cost of a tattoo........ Do you want a homebrew tattoo when you have been through AA, and numerous other treatment programs, and have decided to join the WCTU campaigning against the evils of alcohol?

We all go through phases in our lives. Today you and I are home brewers, 20 years down the road I may be "pushing up daisies", with only a white metal cross by the roadside in Montana to commemorate my passing, and you may be a deacon in the local LDS, magic underwear and all, having "taken the cure". All I can say is DON'T DO IT!!

H.W.

we should hang out some time. first imperial stout is on me.:pipe:

Vacation '09 001.jpg

Picture 109.jpg

Picture 110.jpg

Picture 112.jpg

Picture 114.jpg

Picture 141.jpg

Picture 056.jpg

H.W.

I don't get it either. It seems a fad. It is a fad that will stay with you forever.... I have seen military men at retirement age who got a tat when young. It becomes a blurred blotch. I guess that means that tat that you got when 20 has to be touched up periodically for the rest of your life.

They are not like a picture on a wall. You cannot take it down when you get sick of it.

What is even worse it those ear lobe grommets!!!!!
barfing-smiley-emoticon.gif

I don't get it either. It seems a fad. It is a fad that will stay with you forever.... I have seen military men at retirement age who got a tat when young. It becomes a blurred blotch. I guess that means that tat that you got when 20 has to be touched up periodically for the rest of your life.

They are not like a picture on a wall. You cannot take it down when you get sick of it.

What is even worse it those ear lobe grommets!!!!!
barfing-smiley-emoticon.gif

you're invited too.

I have just a couple......

We coukd make suggestions on what to get and where to put it all day, but it's really personal choice and how painful you want the first one to be.

No brewing tatts but I do have some ink.

Think long and hard about what you want, how you want it to look and what does it mean to you. Then shop a good artist to do it. Not the cheapest artist, a good one. Then discuss what you want with them and agree on how it will be done.

Having said all that, I only did that with one of mine, the last one I got. The only tatt I don't really like is my first one. I'm formulating a cover up for it for some day in the future.

I have two. Nothing brew-related.

Yet.

I have one on my right shoulder and then at the base of the back of my neck. A hops-cone would be interesting for my left shoulder, and would "balance" me out.

Hmm...

we should hang out some time. first imperial stout is on me.:pipe:

I'd enjoy that.......Perhaps I was too candid when I said that I find tattoos revolting..... I do, though I have plenty of friends who are tattooed ( and not reading this ). I find gay marriage equally revolting, but I'm not going to say it to my gay friends. I don't hold tattoos against anyone....it's your choice. I find it kind of pathetic. I'm what and who I am, and have never felt the need to stand out and be noticed. My broad knowledge, skills and abilities from 60 years of thinking and working "outside the box", with the classic "can do" American mindset bring people into my orbit without having to advertise with flamboyant tattoos and advertising. I've tried to "retire" several times, and the people I know and care about have simply not allowed it. I don't need to be a walking billboard!

Perhaps the most entertaining incident with a tattoo I've experienced was when a young girl pulled down her pants in the grocery store to show me her "tramp stamp" after I asked why she would get a tattoo down there where nobody could see it. It was just peeking over the top of her low slung pants (butt crack is in). I was appalled and gave thanks that I have no daughters! I'd never heard the term "tramp stamp" until that day.

Are we so desperate to be noticed that we must have blue and green hair pierced septum or labia, and tattooed faces? I find personal decoration pathetic as often as not.

H.W.

I'd enjoy that.......Perhaps I was too candid when I said that I find tattoos revolting..... I do, though I have plenty of friends who are tattooed ( and not reading this ). I find gay marriage equally revolting, but I'm not going to say it to my gay friends. I don't hold tattoos against anyone....it's your choice. I find it kind of pathetic. I'm what and who I am, and have never felt the need to stand out and be noticed. My broad knowledge, skills and abilities from 60 years of thinking and working "outside the box", with the classic "can do" American mindset bring people into my orbit without having to advertise with flamboyant tattoos and advertising. I've tried to "retire" several times, and the people I know and care about have simply not allowed it. I don't need to be a walking billboard!

Perhaps the most entertaining incident with a tattoo I've experienced was when a young girl pulled down her pants in the grocery store to show me her "tramp stamp" after I asked why she would get a tattoo down there where nobody could see it. It was just peeking over the top of her low slung pants (butt crack is in). I was appalled and gave thanks that I have no daughters! I'd never heard the term "tramp stamp" until that day.

Are we so desperate to be noticed that we must have blue and green hair pierced septum or labia, and tattooed faces? I find personal decoration pathetic as often as not.

H.W.
Wow, you can't see people for who they are. I have a sad for you, but I'll get over it. :pipe:

My broad knowledge, skills and abilities from 60 years of thinking and working "outside the box", with the classic "can do" American mindset bring people into my orbit without having to advertise with flamboyant tattoos and advertising.

And how do tattoos affect intellect, skills, and work ethic again?

They look cool today, but have you ever seen what they look like when you are 70+?

Yeah, tattoos on a 70-year-old man might look kind of sh!tty.

Know what else looks kind of sh!tty? A 70-year-old man!
Who cares? Ain't nobody trying to win a beauty contest at that stage in life.

I never understood the "well what will it look like when you're old" argument.
What looks more repulsive: shriveled-up old man tits, or shriveled-up old man tits with some illegible ink on them?
Answer: Yes.

SWMBO's grandfather is an old Navy Seal vet, and has a number of old Navy tattoos on his arms. I can't tell for the life of me what any of them are anymore. So what? The man's pushing 80, and still looks like he could kick my ass. I don't look at him and see sh!tty old tattoos; I see a BAMF, with stories written all over his body, in ink and in scars.

And how do tattoos affect intellect, skills, and work ethic again?

With a -1 permanent modifier to Intelligence points and a -2 to Endurance, for each tattoo received. Can only be reversed by players in the Healer Class playing the Laser Removal action card.

H.W.
pathetic. I find it interesting you use the word pathetic to describe people with tattoos.
pa·thet·ic
pəˈTHedik/
adjective
adjective: pathetic

arousing pity, especially through vulnerability or sadness.
"she looked so pathetic that I bent down to comfort her"
synonyms: pitiful, pitiable, piteous, moving, touching, poignant, plaintive, distressing, upsetting, heartbreaking, heart-rending, harrowing, wretched, forlorn
"a pathetic groan"
informal
miserably inadequate.
"his test scores in Chemistry were pathetic"
synonyms: feeble, woeful, sorry, poor, pitiful, lamentable, deplorable, contemptible, inadequate, paltry, insufficient, unsatisfactory
"a pathetic excuse"
archaic
relating to the emotions.
my boys nor my wife seem to find me pathetic. I find it quite arrogant that you think you are so far above those with tattoos. there are a great number of people who get tattoos for the wrong reasons, but "pathetic" may be the wrong way to categorize people with tattoos. my ink is for me. it's not for everyone else in my general vicinity, but for me. I have my tattoos for my own reasons. I sure wouldn't describe it as pathetic. I would not like to share a beer with anyone who's judging me as pathetic for having ink in my skin. I'm not sexist or racist, nor do I judge people by their religion or sexual orientation. if you can't tell your friends how you feel about their lives, perhaps you should remember the word "pathetic" when you look in the mirror.

This is the only alcohol related tat I have, as of yet. It used to be just one x, cut in with a razor when I was a kid. This entire lower leg will eventually be dedicated to beer, alcohol, and production.

You know, when I have the money...

IMG_20151124_195946.jpg

pathetic. I find it interesting you use the word pathetic to describe people with tattoos.

my boys nor my wife seem to find me pathetic. I find it quite arrogant that you think you are so far above those with tattoos. there are a great number of people who get tattoos for the wrong reasons, but "pathetic" may be the wrong way to categorize people with tattoos. my ink is for me. it's not for everyone else in my general vicinity, but for me. I have my tattoos for my own reasons. I sure wouldn't describe it as pathetic. I would not like to share a beer with anyone who's judging me as pathetic for having ink in my skin. I'm not sexist or racist, nor do I judge people by their religion or sexual orientation. if you can't tell your friends how you feel about their lives, perhaps you should remember the word "pathetic" when you look in the mirror.

Slow. Clap.

Here's my pathetic cross I got for my pathetic Saviour.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1448424732.835944.jpg

Back