IBUs to low for a Cascade SMASH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzie1701

Reaction score
I don't like overly bitter beers and would like to try out a few smashes. Is there anything wrong with keeping my IBUs in the 30 range. Was thinking of the following.

Recipe as follows:

4kg 2 row
200g flaked barley (yes I know it's only supposed to be one malt but I want the head retention and creamy head. More so experimenting with hops then malts.)

10g cascade for 60min
10g cascade for 30min
15g cascade for 15min
15g cascade for 5 min
15g cascade at flame out
30g cascade dry hop for 5 days.

Any suggestions on the hop schedule and think this will be fine at only 30IBU keeping in mind I don't want it overly bitter.

OG is 1.048

Yeast safale US-05

I think it looks good. Since you don't like them too bitter I think 30 IBU is fine - it's on the low end for an APA but you are also on the lower end for gravity. I might suggest maris otter rather than 2 row for a little more flavor but up to you.

I know it's not supposed to happen in a smash but what about a few hundred grams of crystal 60. Give a little color and flavor. I want to use 2 row because I have 12kg of it on hand. My LHBS doesn't carry MO so I would need to order it. I figure as long as I keep the grain bill the same in all my "smash" recipes I'll be able to taste the difference in hop flavor.

I didn't realize you already had it, of course stick with the 2-row then. You can still go with the SMaSH and see how you like it.

Back