What is your favorite (non-alcohol related) Thanksgiving tradition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Drew

Reaction score
OK. The thread is just what it says. What is your favorite (non-alcohol related) Thanksgiving tradition?

9:00 a.m., we gather 'round the radio because a local station plays the full 19 minutes of Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant." Family are all listening at their homes (including the out-of-state ones who are listening on streaming audio) and some texts fly around about favorite lines, etc.

Re-telling family stories for the enjoyment of the older folks, like me, and so that the younger generations can learn them and carry on the tradition.

Cooking dinner, watching Lions lose.

Used to enjoy playing games with the wife's family, but they've all spread out. Now it's just the MIL and SIL.

My mom and my grandma are both coming over this year, so that will be nice. Grandma is 92.

For around 45 years, extended family and friends have met out at the same pavilion in the middle of a forest preserve in the burbs of Chicago for a Thanksgiving breakfast and hike. Rain, shine or bitter cold we all go to eat and drink, listen to live music on occasion, gather around fire pits, socialize and of course hike. Many folks are people we only see here once a year. It's great fun!

To date, my six year old daughter holds the record for being the youngest attendee - she was only six weeks old.

Last few years, I've brewed. Not "non alcohol related" but it is what I do. I cook a nice meal and watch football.

I have to get in good with your crowd... I honestly have no idea what I am doing this Thanksgiving, I guess I should ask around here.

I work Thanksgiving. I've worked every Thanksgiving for nearly 25 years. Working holidays is just part of the job.
Regards, GF.

Help make my wife's grandma's stuffing, stuff the bird & help do all the sides & such. Pies & some prep today. Got English bitter & Irish red in the fridge to go with dinner. Also making my indian blueberry pudding. Darn sight better than using chokecherries...

Every year we make a list of the top five things we are thankful for. We then compile it in to a family list for posterity. After we have completed the current year's list, we look at ones from the past. In a way it is kind of redundant because many of the same things keep coming up year after year in one form or another, but it also points out the things we really care about. Every once in a while it brings up something that was a big deal at the time, but we have since forgotten about or taken for granted as time has passed.

Lately, the tradition is that Thanksgiving is becoming less of a tradition each year. It's always the same, with dinner consisting of me, my brother, & my mom. Nothing is special. No big crowds. No remembrances. We eat in silence and then nothing after dinner.

Meh.

Not even a bird this year... ham. I can eat ham any day of the year.

Might as well plan for a Swanson's turkey dinner next year...

We have a 22lb+ bird stuffed with grandma's stuffing. Homemade cranberry sauce, my Indian blueberry pudding, green bean casserole, candied yams, cheddar bay biscuits, bread rolls, gravy, pies...& home brew.

I think the new tradition around here now is to be mad & disappointed with everything.

I told my mother, days ago, if she didn't want to worry about a bird, I'd make pulled-pork BBQ, as we used to have a pig pickin' at my grandmother's house every Thanksgiving when I was a kid, and it would be bring back some of those memories. I come over and she has a ham. Bleh. Oh well, it's her thing, I'll let her do what she wants. It is now 3:20 and I get "When are you going to cook the ham?" I never said I'd cook the ham, I don't even want the ham. "You said you'd make the ham and make some molasses sauce" No, I said if you weren't going to bother with a bird, I'd make BBQ, which is molasses brined. "Oh, just forget it..." and she mumbles & stomps off.

I wonder how long it will take to cook this ham that I don't even want to eat, even more now than before...

...awesome. I officially hate Thanksgiving 2015. And, I only have two beers.

FML

Back