One plant... but which one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shafferpilot

Reaction score
So I know I'm gonna get 15 different recomendations, but here it goes. I'd like to grow one hop vine.... but not specifically because of the shortage (I'm pretty well stocked up.) but because I can't seem to get a vine to grow on the little fence next to my front door. The fence is a wood privacy fence 5 feet long and 7 feet tall. Stuff doesn't like to grow there because the gravel bedding for the porch and sidewalk extends under the flower bed leaving only 6 inches or so of topsoil. The extreme drainage in the summertime kills every vine I've put in there over the last 3 years. I've heard that hops has no issue with growing long horizontal roots to find water, so I'm guessing a hop plant will be able to survive there. This spot has southern exposure with shade in the late evening during the summer. There is an ugly bush nearby that the idiots from my condo association put in, but I'm going to cut that thing down as soon as I get something that can survive on the fence. Lastly, I prefer the spicier hop taste to the citrusy one. Wadda ya guys/gals think?

go with a flavor or aroma hop, the alpha acid level depends on soil conditions and as a home brewer you have no way of testing the AAUs if you just use a hop for flavor or aroma the AAU level's wont matter as much as what you are reallly going for is not bitterness.

Personally I am getting a few cascade rhyzomes.

I am willing to brew a test batch or two to figure out AA's but that is just me.

I like Mt Hood, and it is supposed to grow well most anywhere.

Hops have two sets of roots, a root ball that can grow to a couple feet across and 10-15 feet deep and the surface roots. It would be worth while to dig down through the gravel and backfill with dirt, sand & steer manure. The hole wouldn't have to be more than a foot or two wide.

It will take a fair amount of water to keep it going.

You might try Sunbeam or Redvine. Both are ornamentals that will produce usable hops.

They are both aroma hops that are high in myrcene, like Pride of Ringwood. There aren't any easy comparisons that are common in the US.

I did some research and settled on Cascade. Several sites suggested that it's one of the easier hops to grow. I've got four rhizomes coming next month. Thanks for the help, everyone.

When I started I went with one variety, Cascade. I like to stick to aroma/flavor varieties and citric American hops are my favorite. As mentioned above, they're also very hardy. Good choice...

Plant your favorite one! If you can't decide on one plant both, all 3, etc... Then just make barleywine or IIPA so you don't have to worry about IBU's. :D

Back