Saflager US-05 ideal temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madz1980

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying saflager us 05. My ferm temp is 15C would this be ok?

Thanks,

MA

I don't know personally but I hear 62F and below has been known to cause peachy flavors with the strain.

Thanks for the answers

Could this be possible that the fermentation would start later than 18 hours after. There is still no sing of activity. the temp was at 58F, I let it go up to 62F this morning. Strange that there is no activity at all, yet...

Thanks for the answers

Could this be possible that the fermentation would start later than 18 hours after. There is still no sing of activity. the temp was at 58F, I let it go up to 62F this morning. Strange that there is no activity at all, yet...

The colder, the longer it takes. Bring it to around 64-66 and let it be.

Yes, it can take a while. When I use it, it usually takes a 36 hours or so to show any signs of fermentation

I think 18-19 C is a good temp for 05 if you don't want any flavors from the yeast.

You did it reverse.Some people raise the temp a bit when pitching,say around 68 then drop the temp when fermentation starts.I use us05 at 65 the entire time.The range most use are 63 to 68

Thanks, I went up by only few degrees, It's now at 63F in the room, and within 29 hours, I just start to see little starting activity. As soon as it's well established, I'll drop to 59F for 14 days.

why are you dropping it towards the end of fermentation? that is the opposite of what is reccomended

why are you dropping it towards the end of fermentation? that is the opposite of what is reccomended

I just want to boost the temp few hours to start the process and keep it cool during the process to avoid some taste I dislike when fermenting at a too high temperature. I know it's not a lager yeast but you can use ale yeast between 12C and 27C...Fermentation by ale yeasts at these relatively warmer temperatures produces a beer high in esters which I'm not a big fan. I plan to hop it with 1oz of Simcoe for it's resinous aroma. The beer is an IPA in which I add 16oz of light candi sugar before fermentation.

My most recent finished batch is an APA that spent its first couple days at 16C with US-05. I can't say that I've tasted "peach" esters exactly, though my palate is crap so that's not saying much, but I can say that it's the yeastiest beer I've made with US-05. I'll be aiming for 18C in the future.

I just want to boost the temp few hours to start the process and keep it cool during the process to avoid some taste I dislike when fermenting at a too high temperature. I know it's not a lager yeast but you can use ale yeast between 12C and 27C...Fermentation by ale yeasts at these relatively warmer temperatures produces a beer high in esters which I'm not a big fan. I plan to hop it with 1oz of Simcoe for it's resinous aroma. The beer is an IPA in which I add 16oz of light candi sugar before fermentation.

I'd keep it where it was when you warmed it up. This yeast is very clean up to 70F and you're not going to gain anything by chilling it except to maybe cause it to slow down again.

Pretty hard to take a decision with all you experiences stated below... I'll go for 18C. I'm so picky on flavours. I've been working in wine selling for 13 years and since I'm never perfectly happy with any taste. Sad thing.

Temp is dropping to 55F at night but activity seems to continue. Should it be a good thing to move the fermenter in another room? Could this give bad flavours if too cold?

12C, or 53.6F is a little low for US-05. It seems to like 64F or 17.78C & above work better. Just stay on the low side, like 17-18C for better results in primary.

On a related note, does anyone know how much the 05 increased the fermentation temp vs the ambient temp? I had mine fermenting in about 62 degreee ambient temperature and it took about 48 hours to show air lock activity but it's been going pretty decent for the last two days.

Are you measuring actual wort temp, or carboy surface temp, or ambient temp?

Not a single person here asked and you did not specify. That makes all the difference.

Anyway, an actual wort temp of 15 C is perfectly fine, though you won't see any real activity for at least 48 hours.

Let it be.

Are you measuring actual wort temp, or carboy surface temp, or ambient temp?

Not a single person here asked and you did not specify. That makes all the difference.

Anyway, an actual wort temp of 15 C is perfectly fine, though you won't see any real activity for at least 48 hours.

Let it be.

55f is ambient temp at night and during the day it goes un to 62F

Ah. Then you need to measure wort temp, typically by a stick-on temp strip on the middle range of the fermenter to tell wort temperature inside the fermenter, not outside.

55f is ambient temp at night and during the day it goes un to 62F

See! See! All comments thus far have assumed you meant 62F wort temperature. If you're trying to measure ambient temperature, the actual wort temperature will be in the range of 5-15F HIGHER due to the exothermic quality of fermentation.

62F ambient temp could lead to wort temps of well over 70F which is TOO HOT.

When using US05 and S04 I NEVER set my ambient temp control any higher than 50F until it has had a few days under its belt. Of course, you don't have to set things that cold. But my beers are all delicious and clean as f--k... :mug:

Voilà une réponse super intelligente! Thanks for this bright answer! :D :mug:

Recognize that a strip thermometer like unionrdr is suggesting is only moderately effective for measuring wort temperature. Unless it's insulated against the ambient temperature, it's going to be primarily reading the ambient temp; it will read a bit warmer than ambient if the wort is really rolling and significantly warmer than ambient, but if ambient is 45 and the wort is 65 it's probably going to read 50-55 rather than the actual 65 degree temperature of the wort.

At the same time, unless you've got a really rolling fermentation the temperature difference between wort and ambient shouldn't be extreme - maybe 2-3 degrees celsius when the fermentation is at its peak. Of course, warmer ambient temps will generally get the yeast working faster which will cause faster yeast activity and a greater temperature difference, so while your beer in a 16C room might be 18C at the height of fermentation, the same beer in a 22C room might reach 26C at its peak (and finish fermenting much faster with lots of off flavors). Then there's the impact of wort gravity. If your OG is 1.045 the peak of fermentation will be much milder than if the OG is 1.100, so keep your OG in mind as well.

Recognize that a strip thermometer like unionrdr is suggesting is only moderately effective for measuring wort temperature. Unless it's insulated against the ambient temperature, it's going to be primarily reading the ambient temp; it will read a bit warmer than ambient if the wort is really rolling and significantly warmer than ambient, but if ambient is 45 and the wort is 65 it's probably going to read 50-55 rather than the actual 65 degree temperature of the wort.

At the same time, unless you've got a really rolling fermentation the temperature difference between wort and ambient shouldn't be extreme - maybe 2-3 degrees celsius when the fermentation is at its peak. Of course, warmer ambient temps will generally get the yeast working faster which will cause faster yeast activity and a greater temperature difference, so while your beer in a 16C room might be 18C at the height of fermentation, the same beer in a 22C room might reach 26C at its peak (and finish fermenting much faster with lots of off flavors). Then there's the impact of wort gravity. If your OG is 1.045 the peak of fermentation will be much milder than if the OG is 1.100, so keep your OG in mind as well.

Nice,

Thanks for the answer,

I just bought from ebay a little submersible digital thermometer and will drill a small hole in the lid of my (only) fermenter (not using a second one). sanitize the tip and cable and let it drip during fermentation. This way, I will have a perfect control on the wort temperature during fermentation and be able to avoid off flavors.

Thanks!!

MA

On a related note, does anyone know how much the 05 increased the fermentation temp vs the ambient temp? I had mine fermenting in about 62 degreee ambient temperature and it took about 48 hours to show air lock activity but it's been going pretty decent for the last two days.

It varies from brew to brew. I just average it out & assume the wort will be 5-6 degrees warmer than ambient for my 2.5 gallon batches.

Well, actually :D, I used my laser (infrared) thermometer to check the actual wort temp against the strip before. I found the strips to be within .3 to .6 of actual internal temp. So they're fairly accurate. :mug:

Well, actually :D, I used my laser (infrared) thermometer to check the actual wort temp against the strip before. I found the strips to be within .3 to .6 of actual internal temp. So they're fairly accurate. :mug:

My insulated STC-1000 probe and stick on thermometer are almost always at the same temps too. Of course, that's with glass carboys. I imagine if you had a temperature strip on the outside of a plastic bucket it wouldn't be nearly as accurate.

Both fermenters are plastic. One's a Better Bottle, ones a Cooper's Micro Brew Fv & a shorty midwest bucket. The Cooper's & bucket provided the temp measurements over the course of a few brews. And they were covered with tee shirts. It must also be remembered that the stuff in those temp strips came from mood rings originally. :mug:

My STC-1000 probe, which is stuck onto the outside of the bucket and insulated against the ambient temperature, is often 2-3 degrees Celsius off of the strip thermometer - also on the outside of the bucket - but I guess YMMV.

I guess the infrared laser is more direct that reading through the part stuck onto the bucket...maybe?...

I think, personnaly, that nothing can beat, a submersible thermometer, straight in the middle of the wort... 4$ on ebay, usually used for aquarium.

Back